Need urgent help with my pony not drinking water

elainemcginn

New User
Visit site
My 24 year old pony has recently started pawing at her feed bucket due to this we have gotten her a gate bucket which she will happily eat out of although she will no longer drink from her water bucket in the stable she bends down paws it a d then just keeps doing it if we hold it up for her she's fine and will drink and in the fields we have bins of water in field which she'll drink k out of fine although don't know what to do for winter and don't know why she's doing this

We have had her for 2 years and she's been fine until now we think she's a thoroughbred cross but not sure as she is a rescue

We do know that she has had uveitus an eye condition and could possibly go blind.

She is also at the bottom of herd so is this an impatience or anxiety or even any eye problem causing it or something completely different and what can I do to help

be positive

Visit site
I would be concerned that it either hurts her to put her head down or that when she does it effects her eyesight so she doesn't feel happy to put her head into a bucket to drink, in the stable use a shallow wide bowl rather than a normal bucket and put it on some blocks to raise it to a higher level and see if that helps, get the vet to check her so you have a better idea of what you are dealing with.

A light coloured bowl may help if she is having issues seeing properly.

elainemcginn

New User
Visit site
Thanks for the info made her a barrel with a water bucket on top today the water bucket is very pale and is directly beneath her window to she can see it very clearly and has recently had a drink out of it we will keep an eye on her and if it gets worse we will get a vet out

Darraxi

Visit site
She would need to put her neck in the same position to graze so if she can do this happily I wouldn't say a vet was needed; if that is not the case, then perhaps a visit would be a good idea.

At the same time though upon re-reading, the fact that she has also been unhappy about feed would be a concern as that is much more tempting than water, plus has a smell so eliminates the eye problem theory. My horse (also a Thoroughbred) was unhappy to bend down for his feed bucket when I first got him, so I elevated it short-term and got a vet out for that amongst other reasons; turned out he had (and has) kissing spines. After building up condition, muscle and encouraging him to stretch he is much much happier and more comfortable. He is also out 24/7; I imagine being stabled, thus restricting his movement and meaning he had to eat with his head up rather than down, would not help. Currently trying him barefoot as well, which will hopefully let him grow whatever foot will best support his back.

Most likely that's not the issue, but just to show that the problem could be anything from any part of the horse or possibly even her management, or it could just be her not being thirsty/finding the water a bit cold on a few occasions; food for thought either way!

P.S. If you desperately want water in her at any point, try slightly molassed warm water. If she has turnout time, chances are pretty low of her becoming dehydrated anyway as there will be rain, frost or dew on the grass.

elainemcginn

New User
Visit site
Hi sorry for late reply couldn’t get in account and been very upset but unfortunately on nov 15 2018 Abbie was taken to the vets after a long night of morphene bc she couldn’t stand up in field she was taken and given an X-ray which showed a fracture abscess and a tumour and was therefore put down which broke my heart thanks for all the responses thought u deserved to know xx

EllenJay

Visit site
Thanks for the update. I am so sorry it wasn’t a better outcome, but take comfort that you acted quickly and gave her the best possible life. xx