Needing a colour expert please

SeptemberRain

Visit site
This may seem silly but I'm having trouble identifying what colour my horse actually is because of a white belly marking. I'm not keen to post a picture on an open forum but is there a colour expert out there willing to let me email them a photo and help me out please? Thanks :)

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Your horse would be classed as coloured. So depending on base colour and modifying gene (eg. sabino or tobiano) could be classed as bay tobiano, bay sabino, chestnut tobiano etc. It is most likely to be sabino if the only white on the body is on the belly as tobiano tends to put white on the top of the horse first.

SeptemberRain

Visit site
Oh goodness. Thank you for your reply. He's written as bay on his passport but it's a very basic one. But he has a white belly splodge, 3 white legs and I think what's classed as a star and wide stripe on his face. Would just be interesting to know as I'd like to show and don't quite know where to put him.

s4sugar

Visit site
Bay with 3 white legs & a belly splodge & star & stripe.
The sploge could be from splash, sabino or frame but frame is unlikely.
Just a belly splodge would not not make him eligable for coloured classes.

Rosiejazzandpia

Visit site
This may be incorrect but I remember reading somewhere that to be classed as coloured a horse had to have a patch of white on its sides (so not under it's belly if you get me) and the patch had to be a minimum of 15cm wide.
Sorry if thats wrong, I read a lot and seem to retain random little facts like that :)

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Thought bays had to have dark points? White legs generally denote tobiano but with no white over the withers or dock, it's not...?

apachediamond

Visit site
Sorry to jump on your post OP, J is passported as Skewbald, according to BSPA would he be eligible for coloured classes?

url]

url]

Excuse the mud, he does have 4 white legs :eek:

Last edited:

SeptemberRain

Visit site
http://www.bspaonline.com/pdf/booklets/colours-booklet-2008.pdf

This might interest you.
If your horse also has white ticking around the flanks. Could possibly be the Sabino gene.
The criteria for being a coloured is also in the link.

Thank you that's really interesting. I'm still not really any the wiser what he'd be classed at but after having a really good look at him today I noticed he's got some white spots on his chin. They are hard to see because of his pink bottom lip.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
We have a horse at our yard that is chestnut with a small white patch on her stomach and 3 white stockings. She is passported as coloured. But she looks chestnut. Definitely chestnut sabino.