Needing a kick up the backside. Elderly dog anaesthesia.

thommackintosh

Visit site
I took our 11 year old lab, Logan, to the vet for his annual boosters today to find out his back teeth aren't in the best of nick. They're flattened a bit from general wear and tear (that'll be the sticks) and a fair bit of tartar.
He's fit as a fiddle otherwise. We've got the option for him to go for a full dental (which means going under general anaesthetic). Obviously I want his mouth to be healthy, though I've always been told to be wary of putting older dogs under.
Anyone got any words of wisdom/a kick up the backside for me?

{97702}

Visit site
I had my 12 year old greyhounds teeth done last month - greyhounds are notorious for not coping with anaesthetics well, and she was diagnosed with a heart murmur the day she went in. To say I was terrified was an understatement....

She absolutely sailed through it all, she had about 8 or 9 teeth out but she was completely indifferent to that and she has been skipping around like a puppy ever since 😊 I’m so pleased for her sake that I had them done 😊

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Like you, we were rather (too) hesitant about getting the JRT's teeth cleaned because of the GA. We left it til he was 12, about 2 years after the vet first mooted it. He sailed through it all and has been much more comfortable since, he's now 14. No teeth need extracting, he just needed a good clean. His breath is more fragrant, too :).

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
it can really help an older dog, having their teeth done-it can really improve their quality of life plus there are all sorts of nasties in tartar that can lead to other problems. anaesthetics have come a long way-chat with your vet about any risk if you are really worried about it.

{97702}

Visit site
Any excuse for a gratuitous greyhound pic since she is just next to me :p Sorrynotsorry :D I agree with MoC, I have had a LOT of dentals done on my dogs over the years (because greyhounds have rubbish teeth) and it has always improved their quality of life hugely even if it has caused me rather a lot of stress and worry on the day

53533245_10157860307259587_7588761591995170816_o.jpg

Aru

Visit site
Get preoperative bloods done before hand to see if theres any issues that need special note or would potentially cause anaesthetic issues if your worried... and a drip during surgery (if its optional-its becoming more and more the standard of care now so may be automatically included in the cost)

We do g.a's on seniors all the time in veterinary.

Old age isnt a disease.It just predisposes you to them..

Waiting until they are unwell due to dental pain and disease is very much not recommended.

{97702}

Visit site
I refused pre-op bloods Aru, on the basis that Flick probably does have some stage of kidney or liver failure at 12 years old, and I was told that all they would have done if the bloods had shown anything was put her on a drip, which I insist on as standard with any dog over about 8 years old? Not sure if that is correct, I suppose if the bloods do show some sort of failure then there is also medication to correct that, but it certainly put my mind at rest about the dental procedure.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
The boy in my avatar was 15 when he had a ga to remove multiple pus filled cysts. He stopped breathing during the operation more than once but was obviously tubed so fine. I have no doubt the vet will take super good care of the dog during the anaesthetic. Mine was wobbly afterwards, but recovered fine.

Aru

Visit site
Its a personal choice :)

I like to know in advance if theres anything I need to be taking into account when I'm picking my drugs and find its good to know a baseline before a procedure buts it very much personal preference. Its a screen test in most cases. We tend to chose drugs conservatively anyway in the oldies.. but clear bloods gives more options and lets me worry a lot less about complications or underlying conditions becoming apparent post op.

The priority would definitely be the drip if I had to chose between them though!

{97702}

Visit site
Its a personal choice :)

I like to know in advance if theres anything I need to be taking into account when I'm picking my drugs and find its good to know a baseline before a procedure buts it very much personal preference. Its a screen test in most cases. We tend to chose drugs conservatively anyway in the oldies.. but clear bloods gives more options and lets me worry a lot less about complications or underlying conditions becoming apparent post op.

The priority would definitely be the drip if I had to chose between them though!

Thank you that is really helpful :) Very sadly I can't imagine that my two oldies will be having many more dentals, but it is good to know different views and options for them

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
my old lurcher had a heart murmur and was 14years old when she stopped eating, her teeth didnt look good so myself and the vet thought that was the problem, i said a proper goodbye before she was put under and was overjoyed when i got the call to say she was fine, and vet said there were no problems while she was under....