Neem Oil - how to use?

Gift Horse

Visit site
I buy cold pressed neem oil. I pour about a tablespoon into my hand wipe it down the mane, tail, belly and face every few days.

Test it first though my friends horse reacted badly to it.

I agree it stinks, is hard to wash off and a bit greasy but I do think it keeps the midges off.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I saw on Facebook someone recommended neem oil mixed with Avon sss and benzyl benzoate in a spray bottle. Apparently it's fab but I'm unsure in which quantities

ameeyal

Visit site
It brings one of my horses hair to fall out, the others are ok, i mix 3rd neem oil to 2/3rds veg oil shake up before use i apply it under their bellys and in their ears.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
You need to mix it with a carrier oil, or make up a spray. I use 1/2 water, 1/2 neem oil + a dash of detergent (Fairy Liquid, or a shampoo). Shake it all up and use like a fly spray.

Jo1987

Visit site
All 5 of the horses I tried it on had a reaction to it, skin came up swollen where I'd done a patch test. I'd leave patch test over night.

Shay

Visit site
Detergent is an emulsificant - it breaks down the oil so it mixes more easily with the water. Otherwise water and oil are non miscible. You could shake really hard and get a rough sort of emulsion but it will separate back out really quickly. Detergent makes it easier. Or you can use a carrier oil - but in this heat I'd worry about roasting the poor thing alive - they don't need to be basted!

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
I've used it on my old sweet itchy boy and mixed it up half-and-half with Sudocrem. Be aware that it can stain greys & coloured's!!

Ditto advice re. patch testing. Essential with ANY new product basically; my old lad reacted really badly to pig oil and sulphur yet you see people recommending it all over the place.....

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Do you have the exact measurements for this ? X
Erm, half neem, half water, squirt (= what you'd use on your hair) of shampoo is exact......like, 250ml water + 250ml neem oil + squirt shampoo/detergent, or 500ml water + 500ml neem + BIG squirt detergent, or 1ltr water + 1ltr neem + REALLY BIG squirt, and so on..

ponyparty

Visit site
Def test first - every year/season that you use it! I tested it and used it with no problems on my boy one summer; the following summer, I slapped it straight on thinking it was safe and he reacted to it, got big sort of blisters which peeled off :(

Reacher

Visit site
Am I the only one with a horse who thinks it smells delicious and wants to eat it?? ?

cindars

Visit site
Only used it as a cream got it from local health shop tiny pot was quite
E expensive only use it on cuts also brilliant if anyone gets stung I.e horseflys

Griffin

Visit site
Mine reacted to neem oil but she is bit of a reactor anyway (we don't do alfalfa either). It's a shame because it is supposed to be very effective!