Neem Oil

Sophstar

Visit site
My clydesdale this year appears to be suffering with sweet itch for the first time ever as we have moved to a yard near to a lake so the flies are worse than normal. I've ordered a full fly rug for him but his mane is very rapidly disintegrating in chunks from brutal scratching on the trees. Looking at getting neem oil to use... where's the best place to source it and how do you tend to apply it?

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I found the neem didn't really do anything apart from make the horse greasy and dirty, so I have gone back to using benzyl benzoate and I find it much more effective and not as messy, I will say you need to stop the rubbing before you rug or they just destroy it, I find washing the area in dermoline medicated shampoo once a week and applying the benzyl everyday stops him rubbing, mine just wears a normal fly rug and is fine if I am strict with it.

Sukistokes2

Visit site
i found the neem oil did not work for my Clyde, this year I have washed him at least once a week with anti itch shampoo and used pig oil , which seems to have worked a bit better . That neem oil is beyond foul

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
You need electric fencing first so he can't rub on anything or you'll struggle
I used cold pressed been from eBay and it's good but only part of the prevention/treatment.

Britestar

Visit site
Beware some horses react badly to neem. Our S/I horse tore himself to bits when it was applied.
This year Goodbye Flys has been miraculous. No itching and no sweetitch hoody required.