Neighbors dog - Advice please

GLEEK

Visit site
Hi I dont really come in here very often. So hello!

We live in a very rural place (over a mile from a quiet road!) we have a shared garden which is not fenced in. We have 2 dogs a greyhound and a JRT. Another neighbour has 2 JRT. Our newest neighbour has a white GSD type and her new 4-6 month old rescued Staffy puppy.

Next to our houses there is a field with 6 sheep. (im sure you can guess where this is going) She has had the pup for about 2month. The puppy was very bad for nipping when she first got him (I do accept that puppies nip and are playful) one day I spotted him in he garden playing tug o war with her 3year old daughters hair. I went out to stop him but the owner was there by then and had picked him up and was telling her daughter to get up and stop crying! Another day my daughter was running across the garden in the snow and the puppy nipped her on the back of her legs. The owner did see this apologized and let him bite her hand.

After this I had noticed she had been careful not to let him out when my children or dogs were out. So everything had calmed down for a couple of weeks and she had been going and doing training at a park away from here. The other day I spotted him catch one of our landlords peacocks fortunately only by the tail and ripped his tail out. The landlord thinks it was the wildcat that stays in this area and he is ready to hunt down! Then the following day he was in the filed with the sheep he chased them and managed to get a hold of one of there hind legs. I have warned her before, as he has been in before chasing the sheep and showing a big interest in them, that if the farmer sees him he will be shot. I dont know if she realises that he will or if she just thinks its a joke. I suggested putting him on a very long rope so he can get out and have a bit of a roam but so far its not happened (3days ago).

So do I now just leave her to it or something else? Sorry for this being so long I just dont want to see her dog getting shot over something that can/could be prevented. Also what do I do about the puppy and my children?
May be its not my worry about the dog

Thank you

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I think she needs a heads up. The farmer, as you say, can shoot and kill the dog and the law is on his side. The dog needs to be fenced in.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Warn her that he risks getting shot (in a caring, empathetic way) and recommend she attends a training class and maybe a 'job' for him when he is older.

GLEEK

Visit site
Thank you I have said to her before I think my husband has said on a seperate occasion too. He is getting bigger and stronger by the day. Soon they swap the sheep in the field for ewes and lambs (which I have also told her) and im sure it would take him no effort to kill a lamb thats if its the dogs purpose im not sure.

We said to our other neighbour about the things basically that I have put on here tonight. His reply was remember he is a puppy. Which I do but I think this is bordering on getting out of hand. Or am I being a bit OTT? Forgive me if I am im pregnant and hormonal haha

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Yeah he is a puppy and he needs training and re-direction of his drive, to chase to a ball or toy or obedience training NOW before it gets out of hand.
It's cute and funny now but will not be when his prey is dead and he is full of lead shot.

ladyt25

Visit site
Puppy means (in my book) it should be easier to sort NOW as is not a problem that is deeply engrained so the owner needs to do somethinbg about it. I have has my rescue 3 mths and she has a high prey drive - fortunately that is only with blackbirds and small furries (oh and our stable cat but he's sorted her out now!) .I do know she's essentially a wuss hence why she just goes for the little things BUT I intend on sheep training her in a few weeks when I can ask our local farmer if i can walk her on a long line in with his tups (I figure they're less likely to run away).

Training is the key. I am pretty sure (say 95%) my dog woyld not actually ever harm sheep BUT sheep run and if something runs she'll chase. If a sheep turned and faced her I know she'd leg it but sadly most sheep don't do this and I know a farmer seeing my balck and tan small doberman looking dog chasing his sheep isn't going to question whether she's going to do damage!

None of our dogs have been hard to train to not chase sheep even those that have chased them when we first got them - in our own field and they were quickly and clearly reprimanded!!!

I would def have some stern words with your neighbour - the last thing she or her kids want is the dog to be shot or have to be PTS at a young age because it attacked sheep.

Luci07

Visit site
Hmm.... most rescues are very careful about checking fencing. The behaviour is not acceptable and as someone who does have staffords and does have rescues - these dogs need boundaries immediately. I would also think that the rescue would still regard this puppy as theirs - most have a clause stipulating the dog must only ever be returned to them. Remind your neighbour that if (when) this escalates and if anything happens they will have to notify the rescue.