Neighbours crying puppy......WWYD?

Bedlam

Visit site
We live diagonally opposite a pub in a very small town. We don't have a hugely good relationship with the landlord, but haven't had reason to complain about anything related to them for quite some time. Friday nights can be rowdy (but - if I'm honest also quite entertaining with the odd bit of police action) and we sometimes have parking issues. They aren't our sort of people but then we aren't their sort of people so we live and let live.

They went out late afternoon/early evening and have not yet returned, but have left their new lab puppy out on the roof terrace in a kennel (they have no garden) and he has been howling and crying for around 6/7 hours now. They have had the puppy for about a month so I suspect he's 3 or 4 months old.

It's gone midnight and the poor pups howls are literally echoing round the street. Just wondering what you would do? I think we should at least let them know tomorrow that the pup was distresed.....my OH thinks we should keep out of it........?

Bigrob34

Visit site
It's always tricky talking to people about their pets welfare. Maybe an anonymous note through the letterbox? Or would that be too obvious it came from you?

Bedlam

Visit site
They're back and pup has been taken in. I suppose it's all OK and next time he's left out he may be better.......sorry for the rant!

I'm thinking I may pop a note to them tomorrow letting them know the pup was distressed and offering my daughter or son's free puppy sitting services if they go out for a long time again.

maggiesmum

Visit site
Definitely tell them, it can be done in a nice way.
When I moved my lurcher cried when left alone and fortunately my neighbour let me know so could change my routine till he settled, I'd much rather that then all hell break loose a month later when they're annoyed about it.

Superhot

Visit site
Totally agree with maggiesmum, but at the end of the day, the pups welfare comes first. Why get a pup and leave it alone for so long? Offering mpet sitting service is brilliant - hope they accept the offer.

Rose Folly

Visit site
Definitely tell them, and offer your help. That's a lovely way of doing it.

There may have been a very good reason for them having been out so long, but
a) Personally I think it's too long to leave a dog unattended
b) What is this roof terrace like? With temperatures as they were today it sounds pretty unbearable. Did the puppy have shade/water? I guess you can't tell the latter

One of my liveries is looking after a relative's dog for 6 months. She had to be out for an unexpectedly long time - but not 7 hours - this week, and her neighbours (who are also friends) told her the dog had cried incessantly. They have offered to help for future occasions, and will either got and sit with the dog for periods or give it a short walk, or indeed take it to their house opposite. Problem solved. Good luck. go ahead and do it!

What your publicans don't know, they can't address.

_GG_

Visit site
I bet that puppy gets non stop attention when they are there. Never got a chance to become independent and so when left, will literally go into panic.

Sad, hardest thing to do with a new puppy is to largely ignore it, but it does prevent his kind of stress.

Poor puppy. Love the pet sitting offer and deffo tell them...it can be done nicely if you want to.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
I bet that puppy gets non stop attention when they are there. Never got a chance to become independent and so when left, will literally go into panic.

Eeeexactly, I know people think it's really cruel but it is so important to teach dogs that it's to spend time alone just in case you get stuck at work, or God forbid, you or a relative have an accident or have to be taken to hospital and there is no back-up (who knows what happened in this case).

Spending LOADS of time with a dog and then suddenly expecting it to be alone for whatever reason is really unfair on a dog.

Most young puppies cry, in this case it was publicly broadcast...as mentioned, better to have a quiet, friendly, concerned word and see if you can help them out :)

ladyearl

vvv
Tell them. I did not know my dog had sep anxiety until my neighbour told me and now (a year on) with their help (listening for cries and reporting everything back, oh and providing a hiding venue for me to start leaving her for very short times) my dog will be OK left alone for a few hours!