Neighbours :(

MrsElle

Visit site
I posted a while ago about a particular neighbour who complained that the horses were sticking their heads into her garden. Since then a nice large bank of nettles appeared and the horses didn't go near her garden.

Today I realised that the nettles were dying, as was grass around them. Basically they have chucked weed killer over the fence
frown.gif
I am now worried that it wasn't safe for the horses and it might make them ill. They are also chucking their dog crap into the field.

Should I have words with them about the weed killer? I really am worried in case it makes Ellie and Chad ill.

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Throw your horse poo into their garden
cool.gif

Tell them that if they don't stop, you'll have them up for criminal damage.

If there is pleanty of grazing, I don't think your neds will have eaten the 'bad' stuff. Speak to your vet to be sure though.

samstar

Visit site
I would personally write them a letter explaining the dangers of weed killer if you don't want a confrontation with them.
If that doesn't work then maybe enviromental health might be worth trying. Dog mess should be picked up and not dumped.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
The horses shouldn't have touched the nettles once the weed killer was on them - and if they had, you'd probably know very quickly.

Have you put up your electric fencing to keep them off the boundry??

SpottedCat

Visit site
There are very few proprietary weed killers that you can buy over the counter which are not safe for mammals. So ask them which they used and then look it up rather than go in all guns blazing.

gails

Visit site
sorry spotted cat, we are farmers and have to have a certificate of usage to use round up. however any householder can use it in their garden, please everyone do not assume becasue it is over the counter it is safe.

china

Visit site
i would fence the area off. i would politley talk to them about the dog pooh and ask if they had put anything on the nettles. and just try not to cause a row about it.

tasel

Visit site
I would make the fence of the paddock be at least a 1.5 metres away from their garden.

But I agree... chuck horse poop over their fence and see what they have to say about it...
grin.gif

MrsElle

Visit site
AmyMay, yes the electric fencing is up about a metre from their fence, but the grass is dying within the tapes.

I am going to speak to the guy I rent the land off, who is the next door neighbour of the bloke who is chucking the weed killer and dog crap into the field - hopefully the landowner will do my dirty work for me and speak with Mr Grumpy Neighbour!

dwi

Visit site
Daisy jumped out of her field and into a field that had been sprayed with weedkiller. I was convinced she was going to be seriously ill but she was actually fine and that was out of a whole field full of weedkiller. The vet said it is very rare to see poisoning caused by weedkiller. That said, I would be speaking to the neighbours because they should not be doing anything to your field, weedkiler, dog mess or otherwise!

SpottedCat

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
sorry spotted cat, we are farmers and have to have a certificate of usage to use round up. however any householder can use it in their garden, please everyone do not assume becasue it is over the counter it is safe.

[/ QUOTE ]

Round up is perfectly safe for mammals. It uses pathways in the plants which are not present in animals.

I work with BASIS certified herbicide contractors reasonably regularly.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
AmyMay, yes the electric fencing is up about a metre from their fence, but the grass is dying within the tapes.

I am going to speak to the guy I rent the land off, who is the next door neighbour of the bloke who is chucking the weed killer and dog crap into the field - hopefully the landowner will do my dirty work for me and speak with Mr Grumpy Neighbour!

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, bloody hell - well that's simply not on. You've done what they wanted you to do.

Yes, speak to the land owner..

lhotse

Visit site
If it was me, I'd pick up all the dog shite and place it neatly in the middle of their strawberry beds.
mad.gif

DipseyDeb

Visit site
Pick up the dog poo and throw it back...although I would wait until you had a good few weeks supply so they really get the message!!
wink.gif

merlinsquest

Visit site
I too would return the dog poo...... much in the same manner as the three bin bags of dog poo that the previous owner of my house left behind (scattered round the garden)!!

This was returned and scattered round their new front garden
grin.gif