Neoprene allergy?

supagran

Visit site
Has anyone had any experience of a horse who seems allergic to neoprene - brushing boots, wraps etc? We have a 4yo mare who started competing this year, and her legs have seemed to react every time her boots were put on. Spent a fortune on vets! Stopped using boots and started using polo type bandages and at last her legs have started to improve. She was getting blister like areas, which were sore, got infected and the hair fell out. Now wondering what boots we can use for her - she will be BE eventing next year, and polo bandages don't give enough protection IMO. Any ideas?

old hand

Visit site
yes I have a horse with a very severe neoprene allergy. Have had the pin pricks appear following use of boots and we nearly lost him following an infection in both his front kegs following one attack. We did not connect the infection to his boots so used vet wrap over dressings to try and treat him ( with the vet) and £700 later he had lost all the skin from his knees to his fetlocks. Luckily got another vet in who put flamazine cream on his legs plus cling film and suggested I use fleece stable bandages as they were flatter and less likely to rub. In three days they had dried up and fully healed in about six weeks. I still did not make the connection though until I used a Pro Choice non slip girth on him ( neoprene lined) and he came up in a swelling nearly two inches thick and twice the width of the girth - then the penny dropped so no neoprene and no vet wrap in future.

Last edited:

dianchi

Visit site
Handy tip i got recently was to use Vet Bed as a cheaper/breathable alternative to sheepskin, esp in this weather!!!

saz5083

Visit site
I had one! My coloured horse had the most ridiculously sensitive skin and neoprene was one thing that set it off! I evented him in the NEW XC lite boots which were fab. Clarendons were also useful for SJ in :) He retired a few years ago now but I still refuse to use anything with neoprene on any of my other horses legs just in case!

flying_high

Visit site
yes I have a horse with a very severe neoprene allergy. Have had the pin pricks appear following use of boots and we nearly lost him following an infection in both his front kegs following one attack. We did not connect the infection to his boots so used vet wrap over dressings to try and treat him ( with the vet) and £700 later he had lost all the skin from his knees to his fetlocks. Luckily got another vet in who put flamazine cream on his legs plus cling film and suggested I use fleece stable bandages as they were flatter and less likely to rub. In three days they had dried up and fully healed in about six weeks. I still did not make the connection though until I used a Pro Choice non slip girth on him ( neoprene lined) and he came up in a swelling nearly two inches thick and twice the width of the girth - then the penny dropped so no neoprene and no vet wrap in future.

Does Vet wrap contain Neoprene?