Nerve Blocks- What to expect?

Coffee_Bean

www.horseandhound.co.uk
I know nothing about them, my girl having her foot blocked on sunday. What should I expect?
Thanks
smile.gif

Halfstep

Visit site
You will have to trot up first as normal so the vet has something to compare. Then the vet will scrub the area then inject the local anesthetic. You have to wait a few minutes for it to work, they you will be asked to trot the horse up again. If there is no difference they will then bock out a different part of the foot and try again. The idea is to pinpoint where the pain is coming from by blocking it out so the horse goes sound.

LadyRascasse

Visit site
they but a needle into her leg with fluid that will numb the foot, they wait a few minutes then with trot up and/or lunge to see if the lameness improves or is gone ect, they will keep doing it higher up the leg until the find the part that is causing the problem.

kirst88

Visit site
hi
ive seen this procedure a cple of times, all ive seen is an injection into a cple of spots around the foot which can be painful to the horse and then its just a case of waiting for a bit and teh vet usually sees the horse walk and trot up a few times while it takes effect to see if it helps, its just to numb the area to see what the cause of lameness cld be. i hope this helps, so u at least have some idea what to expect.

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
Its a simple procedure and you will trot up before and after the injections, serens first are for nerve block showed straight away, followed up by x-ray gave the diagnoses
Hope it goes ok on sunday

Coffee_Bean

www.horseandhound.co.uk
She's lame only very slightly and only when ridden on one rein. But we've got a vet on the yard (which is very helpful!) so he's going to block the foot as thats where he thinks it is. We have a remedial farrier coming out in a few weeks too
frown.gif
*sigh*

Thanks everyone
smile.gif