Nerves when Trying a Horse

1275gta

Visit site
I am an expereinced rider but find that I am increasingly nervious if I don't feel in control.

I have sold a horse recently because it wasn't suitable.

I am now looking for another. I am nervous just at the thought of going to see another. I will ask all the appropriate questions but even then how do you know what you are going to ride.

How do I deal with this. I miss riding so much.

Help

Boxers

Visit site
Ask as many questions beforehand as possible about how it is to ride alone or in company, in a school. Has it been hunting. What bit is it ridden in? Does it wear a martingale or a drop or flash or grakle noseband. What's it like in traffic - mention differnet things like, lorries and tractors and see if it's ok with them.

The type of tack may tell you about how it is to ride.

When you go there make sure you see it ridden first. Don't get on it straight from the stable, let someone else get on it first or if this isn't possible have it lunged for 10 mins first.

Ask if they have an arena for you to try it in, I am nervous of getting on a strange horse in an open field to try it.

It is nerve wracking but if you're not sure then don't get on it. You can always go again another day after thinking about it for a while.

We went to see a pony and it was ridden in an open field and was not going very well. My daughter, who is very confident, said to me that she didn't want to get on it and so I called the seller over and just explained that it wasn't 'my type' or 'quite what I was looking for' (actually it was horrible! LOL!). And we left the viewing there as did not want to waste the seller's time further.

Wear a hat and a body protector.

Good luck.

Henbug

Visit site
Also if it helps find a confident friend who would be willing to come with you and get on it first. This way you can see what it is like with someone that you know how they well they ride compared to them and also what it is like with a stranger on its back.

Stella

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Also if it helps find a confident friend who would be willing to come with you and get on it first. This way you can see what it is like with someone that you know how they well they ride compared to them and also what it is like with a stranger on its back.

[/ QUOTE ] I agree with everything already said. The experienced, preferably fearless Eventing type of friend, getting on first is great if you can get it. If not, what about paying an instructor to go with you and help with the assessment. They will also usually get on first if everything looks right.

You're not alone. Trying a strange horse is potentially risky, so it worries lots of us
shocked.gif
It can be helpful to go to a good dealer - i.e. one who is recommended and has a very good reputation. Be honest about your ability and confidence levels and a good one will not put you on something that will cause you a problem. I got my mare from www.stubleyhollowfarm.com and if I find myself horse shopping again, I'd be hoping that Patsy could find me what I was looking for so that I could avoid running the gauntlet of lesser known sellers!

1275gta

Visit site
I am Looking for a 14.3 to 15.2 cob mw or hw that is an allrounder but has good brakes and does,t hot up in company.

TarrSteps

Visit site
As said, ask lots of questions and really listen to the answers. Take someone knowledgeable with you and if anything raises your suspicions have a chat about it before you progress to see if you are in agreement.

Get someone who knows the horse to ride it first. If the seller says that isn't possible then start to wonder why!:)

This can be tricky with a horse that hasn't been in work but I expect anyone who is serious about selling to have something organised to at least get the horse going well enough to show to buyers. I've been involved in a few fairly spectacular situations (I actually had one person admit after I rode one that no one had EVER sat on the horse before!) and heard of some real wrecks where it turns out the reason the horse isn't being ridden regularly has not magically fixed itself with time and lack of work.

At the very least ask to see pics/videos and the horse longed with tack before you (or preferably the crash test dummy you've rented for the day
wink.gif
) gets on.

As also noted, if anything makes you not want to proceed say so immediately, thank the seller profusely, and be on your way. DO NOT feel that your pride requires you to ride a horse you already have doubts about - no one involved wants a problem. I'm amazed when people who are obviously unsuited to the horse being shown insist on "having a ride anyway". I've shown lots of young horses over the years and even after VERY clear disclosure and the prospective buyers even admitting the horse is too much in the flesh some people want to ride just for the experience! Yikes. I'd much rather someone say "thanks, but it's not for me" and waste a visit (I don't really consider it a waste anyway - any serious customer is welcome and not every horse works for every person.) that soldier on and cause both themselves and my horse a problem. So don't feel you have to ride just because you've made the drive.

In the mean time see if you can ride a few other horses, especially ones similar to what you're looking for. It may even be worth taking a lesson or two just to get back in the swing of riding in front of strangers.

And remember, when you're looking at horses no one is thinking of buying YOU.
smile.gif
Some people get so wound up about being judged/making a good impression they forget what they're there for. Trust me, the seller is too busy worrying about the horse showing itself well to be worrying about you! (Good sellers that is - anyone who belittles you or makes you feel unwelcome doesn't need your business.)

1275gta

Visit site
Thank you to everyone for their reply's it has made me feel better about the whole thing. Now all I need to do is find a horse to go and look at.

I've seen a couple of really nice ones but just can't afford the £7000 and £9250 price tags that went with them.