nervous about buying another horse

silverstar

Visit site
Ive had 3 horses that werent as advertised and had health problems, well 1 was a complete nutter. Anyway Im quite nervous about buying another horse and being done again. Ive got an instructor coming with me on second visit (shes very busy so wont be able to come to 1st viewings). Ive got lots of questions to ask and know what Im looking for.

PonyFeet10

Visit site
Don't worry it's normal to get nervous! All but one of the horses I own / have owned weren't as described. One was WAY out, having been heavily sedated when we went to view her.. The one correctly advertised was my 2 1/2yo colt which hadnt done anything at all lol. Excellent decision though to take your instructor for a second opinion! Many people make the mistake of buying the first one they 'like' without a second thought :)

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Yup its a case of "buyer beware" unfortunately; which is why its good you're taking your instructor along as he/she will be able to be totally detached and will stop you if you find your heart ruling your head!!!

Listen to your instructor, take his/her advice and if in doubt walk out.

The right horse will be out there somewhere for you; and the "wrong" horse for you is worse than no horse at all, it really is.

Just relax, be the rider you are, and maybe the right horse will come to you rather than the other way around; all my horses came along when either I'd gone to see another one OR just been there at the right time. Call me sentimental but I do believe horses can, in some almost psychic way maybe, "choose" who they want to be with.

Good luck!

Dexter

Visit site
And thats the reason I buy youngsters and make my own :) Or buy very cheap and don't listen to a word the owner says. I go to view with a completely open mind, disregarding everything I've been told. Its not necessarily that the current owner lies, its all about peoples interpretation of stuff! Much easier with a youngster or cheapy project though!

dafthoss

Visit site
I hated looking for horses so glad I found one quite easily. It is the most nerve wracking thing. Thats why I got a pony that had been out of work for months and was as green as they come

Morland

Visit site
I agree with MiJods - 'be the rider you are' - & be true to yourself and your aspirations as a rider, don't overhorse yourself. Hopefully your instructor knows you and your riding style well, as well as knowing about horses.
There are loads of people out there who are not as good at bringing horses on as they think they are, therefore loads of confused horses for sale... If you find one you really like, you will be prepared to deal with any slight imperfections s/he may have (and of course s/he will have some!).
Over 28 years I have bought 5 horses, 4 through word of mouth which have been fantastic and with me for years/life, & 1 through an advert which was pretty awful and sold on honestly at reduced price...!
Good luck.

Witchy

Visit site
I hated horse shopping tried seven and still didn't really get hand on heart what I was looking for. Trust what you SEE and NOT what the owners say.

And yes, take an experienced rider with you to get on and put the horse through its paces first.

Nightmare, trust nobody!

badgerdog

Visit site
I felt exactly the same earlier on in the year. After some bad exeriences I decided that I would only buy one by word of mouth. I managed to do this in August and he's turned out to be a star. Don't give up, I nearly did and I'm so pleased I took the plunge and bought another one.