Nervous behaviour in new horse - ideas please!

Hetsmum

Visit site
Any ideas gratefully received!

New horse purchased 5 weeks ago. 4 year old cob. Forward going but solid type very good in traffic and tried hacking alone all good. 5 stage vetting all done flew through it. First week with me out with my other 2 in the field 24/7 (good weather). Hacked alone (once) and in company and started teaching him to lunge (Irish horse from dealers never lunged!). Hacking alone he is looking and a little hesitant but only stopped to look at things a couple of times - all good.

Clocks change and he starts to come in overnight only. Still going out around 10-11 hours a day with same company. All good until we had a shoot about 2 fields away. He seemed ok in the field (on edge but not flinging himself around). When bringing in he bolted running me down (my fault for leading 3 together) but stopped fairly quickly and was re-caught and led in relatively calmly. Settled straight away in stable and seemed ok. After this friends have insisted I wear hat when turning 3 out and they help with bringing in.

We have had a few instances when he has been quite rushed coming in but last night he was about to tank off again but friend who leads him felt it coming. Cue 3rd person having to help and I lead in new boy. He was extremely hyper and didn't settle in stable. Fireworks in the distance stared about 10 mins later and he really started to panic. I have half partitions between my stables so he was able to see and touch my older cob who was totally chilled out but it didn't seem to help. 10 mins later fireworks stop but it takes him another hour to calm down. I don't live locally but friend does and says there have been other fireworks this week and he certainly hasn't reacted to that extent as his bed has been very clean each night and he always lies down.

First week I clipped him - low trace. He was a star just a bit ticklish when I did between front legs. Lots of praise and rewards. Tried to re-clip last week as he was getting really hot in the stable overnight and he lost the plot. I had to borrow a friends cordless clippers and just get off what I could as he was in melt down. I have clipped 100's of horses in my time and never seen one change like that unless burnt or something bad happened.

I was convinced it was diet do he is now on (and has been since last Wednesday) Thunderbrooks chaff and Dengie leisure vit & mins (no fillers in that whatsoever). Haylage - he had at the dealers - its the same supplier and my grass.

The thing is that these semi-explosions seem so out of character. He really is a very chilled out little cob. Fab in traffic and lots of things I would expect a young horse to be freaked out by he copes with brilliantly. I have been working him about 6 days a week with a variety of hacking and schooling but only very lightly. He started to refuse to hack out alone by planting and I tried every trick in the book. He really was scared - you could tell by his breathing. Currently I either lead the first part of the ride then hop on and he is fine or friend has been walking with me and gradually backing off by taking short cuts and just meeting us in 'spots' on the hack. He has been coming on in leaps and bounds with this method and getting more confident daily.

Other things:
I have had horses 30+ years and worked in the industry, including teaching so not a novice. He is not going anywhere so suggestions that I take him back are null and void. The behaviour doesn't scare me at all but I feel so bad for him being so afraid. So sorry for the essay if you're still reading!!!!!!! Any thing I have missed?????? :) :) :)

madlady

Visit site
The only thing I can think of to suggest is back to basics with some groundwork - just to help build his confidence really.

Sorry I can't think of anything else

Luci07

Visit site
Maybe put it back into perspective - he is just not coping with all the changes and at 4, will have seen little of life. Treat him as if everything is brand new and he has only just been backed. Sedate him (lightly) next time he is clipped. Your clip could have been the first one, hence being fine the first time and then freaking the second. Sedating for the first time always seems to make clipping so much nicer for babies. Just take a deep breath and give him time and I am sure he will get his bold boots back on again shortly. Even my 6 year old who has been out eventing was somewhat at odds when I first got him home and found everything terrifying. I just took my time and have my super boy back now who is confident again.

Jaymarie

Visit site
Sounds to me like he could do with some time to settle. Considering you've only had him for 5 weeks, 2 clips and work 6 days a week for a 4 year old seems like he didn't get much time to settle.

dianchi

Visit site
Softly softly i think is the answer.

Its always tricky with the youngsters that take it all in their stride then have a freak out as it seems so out of character.
By the sounds of things he isnt a fan of loud bangs so might be something to work on, although the next week will prob be horrid for you :(

fishy

Visit site
Don't have any advice really except he sounds like my daughter's cob when she got him 4 years ago. We did all the usual checks which were fine so decided to try him on a calmer and do some join up and groundwork. He too was a keeper so no sending him back either. Seems to have worked because 4 years on he's fab. Can be nervy sometimes spooky but on the whole he's brilliant! Good luck with him I'm sure he'll settle xx

Hetsmum

Visit site
The only thing I can think of to suggest is back to basics with some groundwork - just to help build his confidence really.

Sorry I can't think of anything else

Thank you. Lunging him seems to really help him confidence wise. Silly thing is he seems braver when you are on him though!

Is he not used to being stabled? could he live out all the time?

He was stabled 24/7 pretty much at the dealers (there 6 weeks) but I doubt he had been stabled before. I'm not sure it is the stabling so much that is an issue - but I know where you are coming from. Until last night his bed has always been pretty clean and he lies down every night and as I said can interact with my others over the partitions. He adores my older cob. Unfortunately we can't turnout 24/7 in winter and I can't move due to the issues I have with one of my others. The yard is perfect in every other way.

Maybe put it back into perspective - he is just not coping with all the changes and at 4, will have seen little of life. Treat him as if everything is brand new and he has only just been backed. Sedate him (lightly) next time he is clipped. Your clip could have been the first one, hence being fine the first time and then freaking the second. Sedating for the first time always seems to make clipping so much nicer for babies. Just take a deep breath and give him time and I am sure he will get his bold boots back on again shortly. Even my 6 year old who has been out eventing was somewhat at odds when I first got him home and found everything terrifying. I just took my time and have my super boy back now who is confident again.

Thanks. Yes I think I need to put it into perspective. Its been 20 years since I've backed a baby and I probably expect far too much. Its just so jekyl and hyde!

Sounds to me like he could do with some time to settle. Considering you've only had him for 5 weeks, 2 clips and work 6 days a week for a 4 year old seems like he didn't get much time to settle.

Ah when I say worked 6 days a week I mean I will literally have a play in the field for 15mins or a 1/2 hour hack etc. It's very chilled and not at all full on. Sometimes we don't get out of walk, just practising our transitions etc. He seems to love the human interaction and is always very keen to learn. The 2nd clip was pure necessity as he is very hairy and was sweating overnight naked in the stable.

Softly softly i think is the answer.

Its always tricky with the youngsters that take it all in their stride then have a freak out as it seems so out of character.
By the sounds of things he isnt a fan of loud bangs so might be something to work on, although the next week will prob be horrid for you :(

Thank you. Softly softly is really how I am all the time. Most people probably think I am too soft but ever horse is different and he is a very sensitive chap - even when he is confident. I have bought a radio at lunchtime to play overnight (classic FM?) to help him cope a bit and Rescue Remedy. I will try anything! The unfortunate (but usually fortunate) thing is he really will get used to the banging as we have fortnightly clay shoots very close to us This usually de-sensitises all the horses to fireworks very well. Unfortunately they are shooting this Saturday again so it will be a day of hell for him as there are also 2 local fireworks displays in the evening......... :(

Hetsmum

Visit site
Don't have any advice really except he sounds like my daughter's cob when she got him 4 years ago. We did all the usual checks which were fine so decided to try him on a calmer and do some join up and groundwork. He too was a keeper so no sending him back either. Seems to have worked because 4 years on he's fab. Can be nervy sometimes spooky but on the whole he's brilliant! Good luck with him I'm sure he'll settle xx

Thank you. Glad to know it all worked out for you ok. I'm sure it will all work out fine in the end. It been a bit of a year losing one of mine after 19 years together who was rock solid and I guess I'm probably making too many comparisons :)

Hetsmum

Visit site
Take him off the Thunderbrooks and Haylage and also as above .... take it nice and slowly.

Thank you. Can I ask why take off the Thunderbrooks? Have you had a bad experience? I put him on it as I wanted to exclude Alfa as I've heard so many tales of that being the cause of issues. Thunderbrooks was one of the only non-alfa chaffs I could get.

mirabela123

Visit site
Thank you.
g.png

Thank you. Softly softly is really how I am all the time. Most people probably think I am too soft but ever horse is different and he is a very sensitive chap - even when he is confident. I have bought a radio at lunchtime to play overnight (classic FM?) to help him cope a bit and Rescue Remedy. I will try anything! The unfortunate (but usually fortunate) thing is he really will get used to the banging as we have fortnightly clay shoots very close to us This usually de-sensitises all the horses to fireworks very well. Unfortunately they are shooting this Saturday again so it will be a day of hell for him as there are also 2 local fireworks displays in the evening......... :(
Good luck Hetsmum

Hetsmum

Visit site
Id perhaps look at a good sedation for Saturday, just try and help him as much as you can :)

Thank you. Vet is coming out on Thursday for check up on older cobs lameness so have asked her for a chat to see what she suggests sedation wise. Its a bit tricky as I can't sedate for the entire day I don't think. :( He's such a poppet I just wish I could wrap my arms around him and make it go away......

Bigginge

Visit site
He's 4, he's trying to tell you he's not coping with all the change. The honest ones try to hide it for as long as they can then freak out when they can't take anymore. Give him more time to settle, lead him in on his own so you only have to deal with him, get a rope halter or similar that you can hold him in. Give him structure and boundaries but forgive him, focus on giving him lots of good experiences and set every day and every activity up to avoid any bad experiences. Personally I wouldn't have a radio on overnight, think how annoying that would be if you are trying to get to sleep. He will come good, if you stay relaxed and positive with him. Having just backed my 4 year old after a long break from youngsters I had forgotten how long it takes, 3 steps forward and 1 step back.

Brightbay

Visit site
Google "Trigger stacking horses" and you will find some explanations :) I particularly recommend the Evolution Equine article on it.

ETA - ConfidenceEQ might help for you if you can manage to take it very slowly with the clipping at a quiet time of day. If he still reacts, he may have become sensitised, and you may have to go back to starting to accustom him to clippers as if he's never seen them before :)

Last edited:

Hetsmum

Visit site
Google "Trigger stacking horses" and you will find some explanations :) I particularly recommend the Evolution Equine article on it.

ETA - ConfidenceEQ might help for you if you can manage to take it very slowly with the clipping at a quiet time of day. If he still reacts, he may have become sensitised, and you may have to go back to starting to accustom him to clippers as if he's never seen them before :)

Of course - that makes perfect sense! Thank you so much. My vet is also a proper behaviourist so would probably have said this on Thursday to me. It's just something I've not really come across before - well I probably have but not so pronounced. I will google more tonight as at work now but I am sure you are spot on. I see lots of shaping in our future! :)

Hetsmum

Visit site
He's 4, he's trying to tell you he's not coping with all the change. The honest ones try to hide it for as long as they can then freak out when they can't take anymore. Give him more time to settle, lead him in on his own so you only have to deal with him, get a rope halter or similar that you can hold him in. Give him structure and boundaries but forgive him, focus on giving him lots of good experiences and set every day and every activity up to avoid any bad experiences. Personally I wouldn't have a radio on overnight, think how annoying that would be if you are trying to get to sleep. He will come good, if you stay relaxed and positive with him. Having just backed my 4 year old after a long break from youngsters I had forgotten how long it takes, 3 steps forward and 1 step back.

thank you........you forget about youngsters don't you? I was probably too lucky as my last one nearly 20 years ago was such a doddle too! :)

Annagain

Visit site
Thank you. Vet is coming out on Thursday for check up on older cobs lameness so have asked her for a chat to see what she suggests sedation wise. Its a bit tricky as I can't sedate for the entire day I don't think. :( He's such a poppet I just wish I could wrap my arms around him and make it go away......

Sedalin is surprisingly long acting - well on my boy at least, even at 16.3 and 680kgs he can be drowsy for a good 5 or 6 hours on a fairly low dose! I'd speak to your neighbours to find out when they're starting to shoot and sedate 45 mins before to get maximum benefit. Hopefully as it wears off he'll be getting more used to the bangs and can start to process them a bit more rationally. Good luck, he sounds a sweetie.

OWLIE185

Visit site
The reason I suggested taking your horse off Thunderbrooks and Horseage was to eliminate any intolerance your horse may have to them.
Different horses react differently to different feeds so it is always worthwhile eliminating them just in case they contributed to the problem.

Hetsmum

Visit site
The reason I suggested taking your horse off Thunderbrooks and Horseage was to eliminate any intolerance your horse may have to them.
Different horses react differently to different feeds so it is always worthwhile eliminating them just in case they contributed to the problem.
Ah thank you. He was on Hi Fi Molasses free for the first 3 weeks and the issues started so I changed to eliminate the alfa. I'm not a fan of molasses really so I try to avoid that anyway. I agree about the haylage - I know some horses don't react well on it.

Jaymarie

Visit site
Ah apologies I thought you meant you were working him 6 days a week. I do hope you get to the bottom of it, perhaps he's one of those special sorts that once you have the teething problems sorted he will be better than ever.