Nervous lorry driving!

ROG

Visit site
Pity you are not a bit nearer to me as I would have sat with you for free with expenses covered

ex LGV instructor

Tinsel Trouble

Grantham (please don't judge me! originally from S
Visit site
OMG!! I DID IT!! So my dad drove up from home (2 hours away!) to sit with me and i drove the box with my Ozzy in it through town, up and down steep hills, round roundabouts and overtook a very wide tractor towing a combine header!

The day before I was struggling to get it refueld, there wasn't enough diesel in it to get to a petrol station so I checked with the garage how much diesel I could put in Jerry cans, bought said Jerry cans and couldn't open it, drive it to the beefy guy at the garage who couldn't open it either, took it back home, got my hammer and used the lever end to open in. Filled the can and took it up the yard. Filler cap is under the body so I couldn't just tip the diesel into the tank. Drove back into town to get a nozzle and funnel. This does not solve the problem. Buy this stage I am covered in diesel. Found the YO and borrowed their funnel with attached pipe, this doesn't fit. Get back into the car and drive 15 miles to the local ag. Centre to see what contraptions they have and they have a 50cm length of hose they give to me. Go back to the yard and attached a funnel to this hose, IT WORKS!! I ended up manually filling the tank to half full (40l). I earned my pizza for tea!

Today We got 60% at our regionals, didn't qualify for the championships as we ended up in 4th place (2% behind the leader, it could have gone so much better if he didn't try to stop to poo half way round...!!)

Oz then refused to load on the way back, but I think that's down to the noise and smell of the box as the little toad was pawing the ground on 3 legs a lot of the way, so it wasn't my driving.... Promise!!

Thank you so very much for all your help! You were right, I just had to get on and do it!

Next party is in 2 weeks. I just have to persuade him to load now!!

Lyle

Visit site
Practise, practise, practise! I actually enjoy driving my lorry now, people tend to respect your space more than with a trailer. I don't mind the fact they are slow, it leaves me free to concentrate on my lines and give the horses a smooth ride.

I'd had my probationary drivers license for about 12 months when Dad sent me off to get my HV license. I passed with only losing 1 mark, but I'll never forgot the examiner looking me dead in the eye, and saying 'You've got the hardest task out of anyone here; you're driving a live load, please, take it easy!' this has well and truly stuck with me, and was probably the best advice anyone has given me. When you hop in, take a big breath, remove any time pressure, and concentrate on giving your horse the best ride you can.

My Dad and I had a round the block trip we practised in. A nice combination of hills, suburbs and faster roads. I drove until I was comfortable, then my first trip loaded was around that course. When you know your lorry, it's heaps easier. Mine for example, has an impressive drunken wander with 12inches of play in the steering, requires tactful gear changes or the splitter refuses to find a gear! It also hates head winds, hot weather and hills.

Can you find a friend to come with you? I always felt happier with 'someone' in the cab with me!