Nervous neurotic horse

luane1

Visit site
Bought an 8 year old in July, vetted well. He haD jumped and won age classes here in Ireland as 4,5 and 6 year old then jumped 140's. He can jump superbly, started to nap and rear when on right rein so called in the physio and she diagnosed sore back(very) probably due to poorly fitting saddle, put him into a programme of lungeing and no riding for 6 weeks and then slowly riding him every 3rd day, lots of hacking and flat work and only a little jumping. He has come on superbly but he is absolutely neurotic in the practice arena if anyone knocks a pole down he is off and if he should happen to tip one then he freaks out and you cant get him back. He breaks out into an absolute sweat. If he were human you would call him a perfectionist. We have only been playing with him over 90 and 1m. One thing he will not do is to calmly walk or trot over a pole on the ground he absolutely launches it. We did a 3 day show last month and it was as though he sudenly went this is serious I know what to do and he jumped 110 on each day superbly. Any suggestions to help him chill out so that we can go on and let him realise his full potential when he comes out in the spring
Cavalierjumping.jpg
[image]

TGM

Visit site
Without knowing the horse I can only guess. BUT if he is so neurotic going over poles on the ground and freaks out when he hits a pole, I would guess he has been rapped in the past. Would explain why he is fine at shows because impossible to rap him when competing. Would also explain the napping and rearing if he has been frightened in the past.

peanutpussycat

Visit site
I think it sounds like his back is still a bit sore. I have an equissage, its great. They do a free demo. Just go on the website and have a look. Free massage and might be just what he needs. Good Luck

luane1

Visit site
I do think he has been rapped but I had not thought about being at a competition and his feeling safe that he couldn't be rapped there is very plausible. The rearing and napping have disappeared as his back is now not sore, physio was here again this week. He has been a seriously competitive horse and while we want to compete in the bigger classes on him we are prepared to be very patient and try to show him some fun in his life so that he becomes a happy horse. My daughter varies what she does with him and he loves to hack out in company or by himself. Have used equissage and it helps relax but the problems only start when there are other horses in a warm up or as I said if he hits a pole himself then it is total panic as he is very careful but an awful worrier

seza

Visit site
We had a grade a jumper that was very similar to this. In a warm up arena he would freak if another horse knocked a jump down and he never ever knowck a jump down in either the warm up or at home. We felt that he had probably had some harsh treatment in the past. He also had one of the sweetest natures you could ever hope to find and stable manners to die for. Just a bit stressed at times. Good luck with yours - he looks very nice on the photo.

wizzi901

www.pony4u.co.uk
would say if he does it at home or practice arena but fine in the actual ring, he's been rapped, only time and patience will chill him out.

My ex pro horse was never rapped to my knowledge but it took a good two years for him to settle to a slightly less competitive life, he is now the opposite and chills quite happily.

solitaire

www.riding-holidays-uk.co.uk
Have you tried Magnesium in his feed - I had a neurotic horse and it certainly worked for her - she is now a pleasure to take to competitions.
I've recommended it to others and they have all had favourable reports.
There are a number of supplement brands I use magic - it does work.
Good luck