"Nervous" songs

Greylegs

Visit site
My friend has a horse which can, at times, make her a bit nervous - especially out hacking. To overcome this, she admits that she calms her nerves by singing - in her case, endless verses of "Old MacDonald had a farm - ee I ee I o". This is especially useful at trot, apparently :). I have to admit to having tried it myself (not that my mare makes me nervous, but hey ...) but had to stop when I ran out of conventional animals and couldn't think what noise a spider makes ..... :D.

Anyone else want to admit to having a little ditty they sing to themselves in times equestrian of stress?

Carrottom

Visit site
I have lots, depending on mood. Hymns are All Things Bright and Beautiful and Morning has Broken. Pop songs rang from Carpenters Top of the World and various Simon and Garfunkel. In emergencies its 3 blind mice. If I need to distract myself I try There's a hole in my bucket Dear Liza.

JCW

Visit site
The power of love by Frankie goes to Hollywood and extreme emergency song is twinkle twinkle little star. also Been known to sing Rhinestone Cowboy, badly.

fidleyspromise

Visit site
I seem to start with Disney
I just cant wait to be king
We are one
Part of your world
A whole new world
Hakuna matata

Cher: turn back time
The mavericks
Charlene: I've never been to me
Anything else that pops into my head.

My friend used to sing kumbaya which was fine until she came around a corner singing loudly and there's people out for a relaxing walk looking stunned ?

I make songs up with random words.
My friend had her daughter repeat "I love my pony and my pony loves me".

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
Don't let Karl Greenwood here of people singing because they are nervous !!

My go to song, thankfully rarely needed these days, is 10 green bottles. It's so hard to count down from 10 , you really need to concentrate which is great!!

southerncomfort

Visit site
Don't let Karl Greenwood here of people singing because they are nervous !!

My go to song, thankfully rarely needed these days, is 10 green bottles. It's so hard to count down from 10 , you really need to concentrate which is great!!

I was just thinking about Karl's video too!

For anyone wondering Karl's view is that if you're singing and concentrating on combating your own nerves then you aren't really 'there' for your horse, and if the horse feels abandoned by the rider it's much more likely to feel worried/make bad decisions.

Pippity

Visit site
Sea shanties for me! The proper ones started life as work songs, so have a very definite rhythm to them which comes in handy. Current faves are Blow the Man Down, Nelson's Blood and, inevitably, Wellerman. It helps that they tend towards a YOLO spirit, which gives me a kick up the pants.

Added benefit: I can use them to threaten Blue if she's being a knob. "A damn good flogging wouldn't do you any harm..."

Last edited:

Annagain

Visit site
Reach for the stars by S Club 7.

Now that Wiggy and I are jumping, I sing the opening line from Angels by Robbie Williams to myself on approach to the fence because that's what I need to do ....."I sit and wait, does a Wiggy contemplate my fate."