Neue Schule Tranz Angled Lozenge Baucher / Hanging cheek

Brambridge04

Visit site
Opinions please.

Are they worth the extra money?

I have a big chunky NF mare, (everyone is convinced she is a welsh D) with a large fleshy mouth, so looking at the thinner 14mm mouth piece.

Currently in a full cheek, single jointed sweet iron snaffle. But feel, as her schooling is progressing, that she needs something different.

It doesnt seem to suit her any more, she is very quiet in the mouth, but when schooling she seems fussy in this now...teeth, back saddle checked.

Carefreegirl

Visit site
I have one in my fussy TB purely based on advice given to me on here and it's been a godsend. She's much more settled in the mouth and always has a nice foamy mouth. I'm so pleased with it that I bought a NS Pelham for her show bridle. I got both of mine off eBay for less than half what they cost new.

acw295

Visit site
I've just got one for my Welsh D, only tried once so too soon to tell yet!

Trying to find something dressage legal that she likes as much as her pelham. Will report back as have first lesson with it tomorrow night.

If I were you I'd try a cheap double jointed snaffle first as that might solve your issue for less money, few ponies suit single joints IME so a move to a french link might be all you need :)

Last edited:

Fauvea

Visit site
Just put my mare in a Tranz angled Lozenge D ring and it makes a lot of difference (she is very sensitive in the mouth and always tended to be behind or above the bit in her straight bar Happy Mouth). It's a Sprenger, not NS, but went for it because it was a 14 mm instead of 16 mm for NS, upon advice of my dressage trainer. But she said both brands are equally good.
If you go for a French link, check that the central part lays flat in the mouth and not upright because if upright it is quite severe.

PennyJ

Visit site
My foresters absolutely love their NS tranz angled bits! So do all the other foresters I know who have them, which is increasing all the time. I would definitely recommend them. So much so, I am gradually selling off the extensive collection I had acquired over the years of various other bits that I now consider surplus to requirements. :D IMO well worth the money!

scrunchie

Visit site
If you go for a French link, check that the central part lays flat in the mouth and not upright because if upright it is quite severe.

That would be a Dr Bristol then not a French link. Dr Bristols' are designed so that the link digs into the tongue, French links always lie flat. They look very similar though. :)

Last edited:

SonnysHumanSlave

Visit site
I went from a single jointed eggbutt snaffle, to a loose ring neue schule tranz angled bit. The transformation was instant, he would no longer lean on my hands!!
Im not looking to upgrade to the same bit, but with a Beval rather then the loose ring as this will apply a small bit of poll pressure that i need! worth every penny!

Jesstickle

Visit site
I went from a loose ring french link to a normal french link hanging cheek and that did the trick for me. Why not try the cheaper option first if you aren't sure? Or hire from a bit bank?

sjp1

Visit site
My appy has a huge tongue and low palate. HATED the NS tranz angled lozenge baucher, but I think he is in the minority because a lot seem to like it.

Good luck, bitting is a minefield!

Brambridge04

Visit site
Jess, i never normally do! or i miss out!

Seller had put in description, that a picture wouldnt upload, but could email on request, so clearly not many people bothered to look, i did, she sent me pics to show condition and make etc, and the auction finished at 7am on a tuesday!? so not many people to bid against.

I'd definately always look if no pics now!

Brambridge04

Visit site
Damn you!!!! Lol I didn't look at that one!!! I'm bidding on another at the minute a 5.5 tho might be a little too big :/

I spoke to Neue Schule, and they recommend you go up 1/4 of a size for the lozenge bit, as it sits a bit differently and takes up more space length ways, if that makes sense or helps at all!?

Yes i didnt look at first, but then saw it with 14hrs left, and no bids and thought i may aswell email!

Brambridge04

Visit site
I brought a 5.5, although my mare is usually a 5.25, on their recommendation, we should compare differences and notes in a couple of weeks x

acw295

Visit site
Used mine 3 times now, once in a lesson - pony seems very relaxed in it - we even managed a bit of a wet mouth which has never happend in any other snaffle. Much more consistent contact and able to take more of a feel without evasion.

It's not transformed her into a dressage pony by any means - but big improvement so far, so rather optimisitic :D

ldlp111

Visit site
Just bumping this, would be good to know how you are getting on :)
Am thinking of trying the tranz angled lozenge baucher (hanging cheek one) but lady I spoke didn't say about trying next size up she said they are supposed to be snug fit? so not sure whether to try same size as I have now 5.5 or go for 5.75:confused::)