Neue Schule Universal bit

The_Blonde

Visit site
Is this bit good? Need a gag action for xc How strong do you find it to be? I have just enough breaks in a loose ring snaffle but would like a little more steering and a gag action.
Would you advise roundings or single rein on the gag ring?
Can you put a single rein on the snaffle ring combined with cheek piece through top poll ring?

Any advice appreciated!

ecrozier

Visit site
I love this bit, and use it for exactly the reason you state above, I have just about enough control in a snaffle but it is HARD work, whereas in the universal I can take a check and he listens, without him slamming on the brakes or me having to haul at him. I bought a cotswold sports version and has been great, I have now picked up a proper NS one on ebay that is aurigan - I usualy ride on the flat in a NS lozenge snaffle and know he like that mouthpiece and metal etc.
I personally tend to use one rein, on the gag ring for XC, and fast work/jumping on grass, and then on the snaffle ring for jumping on a surface, everyday hacking. I am thinking of trying roundings when I get round to getting some!!
But yes, highly recommended and I think a fair few fans of it on here.

251libby

Visit site
I have the kk version (exactly the same.... but more expensive as i have found out!) and I love it, love it, love it!!

The_Blonde

Visit site
ah brill, think i'm going to splash out
smile.gif

Emma_C, do you have a link for cotswold sport? I'm not sure which company that is!

ecrozier

Visit site
Kidalton, maybe! Was a 5.5, came with the curb strap?
Cotswold sport I found on here - is it cotswold SJ? Hang on will look and see if still in PMs