Neue schule universal

whizzer

Visit site
Worked fabulously on my horse a few years ago & well worth every penny. My horse has settled a lot & rarely needs it now but it's such a useful bit that I've resisted selling it in case I ever need it again!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
It depends very much on your horse, of course.

When I bought my mare, she brought her French link Dutch gag with one set of reins on the 2nd ring, with her. I really didn't like this but she leaned very heavily on a French link snaffle.
I went to a talk by Heather Hyde, where she suggested a Universal. I use it with 2 reins and the mare responds very well to it. I can use the snaffle rein most of the time but if she gets strong a tweak of the curb rein makes a real difference, just to remind her of her manners.
Another good point about it is that it is 6" and there isn't the same choice in this size as there is in smaller sizes.

Visit site
Fantastic bit - have ridden three very different horses in them (all with one thing in common - lacking in brakes when excited!) and the NS Universal has been successful with all of them. :) Definitely worth investing in one IMO. :)

ecrozier

Visit site
I now use mine on both my horses! 14.2hh Arab has his on snaffle ring for sj and average hacking, gag ring for XC and fast group hack. He had serious lack of brakes before in every bit I ever tried, would put head between knees and tank off.
Just started it on youngster who has recently discovered the joys of XC and tends to leap about then charge off after a fence. Only needs it on snaffle ring to regain control. He goes in a verbindend on the flat, Arab goes in NS Baucher with lozenge.

Helenedm14

Visit site
Thanks mine is a 14.2 Arab with no brakes, he is in a 5" French link fixed cheek snaffle at moment which is touch too big, should I go for 5.25 in universal?