Neurectomy experiences

Dreckly

Visit site
Have been at the vets with my boy again today. Although I won't go into the history of his lameness, it is sufficient to say that following an operation which vets were almost certain would deal with his lameness, 4 weeks post op there is no improvement. He is still after nerve blocking showing lame in the same place. We are going to give him a couple of months in the field to see if things settle before deciding what, if anything, to do. My main problem is that he is nearly 18 and also not insured, so have to be sensible about how much money I throw at this.

One option that has been floated is a possible neurectomy. Does anyone have any experience of this operation? Did you have a definite diagnosis before deciding on the op, and did it cure your particular problem? Also, what problems did you encounter and were you able to get back to the level of riding you had before the lamess.

Sorry for all the questions but need to get things straight in my mind. I have to say I am not very optimistic of improvement just clutching at straws:-(

cellie

Visit site
Yes I had young horse that damaged his ligament he had prp but vet felt that nerve could be affected as there would be thickening in the area. He made full recovery with no pain.This was hind leg.There is also mare on our yard that damaged front ligament and she had hers done she suffers with filling occasionally and it was necessary to do the same treatment. i also know sj that returned to full work after neurectomy in hind leg.

Dreckly

Visit site
This op was exploratory because nothing showed up on scans. He had a very specific area of pain to the inside at the fetlock just above the ergot. They found a small lump of scar tissue attached to the annular ligament. Never seen this before. Cause, some kind of trauma puncture wound or knock. As the area was so specific they were all very confident that because the removal was clean he should make a full recovery.

Unfortunately he is still lame, around the same area. Absolutely flumoxed vets as nothing shows up. They floated today the possibility that the trauma may have affected the nerve and perhaps he is feeling something a little similar to the way head shakers get nerve pain. This was only floated as a possibility at present and they mentioned a neurectomy, which is not something I have any experience.

We have decided at present not to do anything. He is going to have 2 months out in the field in the hope that everything will settle down. If he is still lame after this I have some difficult decisions to make.

He has had quite a hard life. Before I had him he evented to quite a high level and was with a professional rider so competed often.

It is going to be a balance between, age, cost of diagnosis/procedures and probable outcome - that age old problem for us horse owners I think.

Zuzzie

Visit site
My gelding had collateral ligament damage to his right fore which was compounded with the fact that he also had arthritis there. Tried every treatment with the exception of Tildren which I wasn't confident would work and would probably have been an expensive failure. Even went through 3 months of box rest but he came out worse than when he went in! I contacted Rockley Farm to see if they could help but they said it was unlikely they could resolve the problem. In the end we opted for a neurectomy with quite a lot of worry and misgiving. Vet explained that it wouldn't be the whole foot that was blocked, just a part. So we went ahead. Turns out it was the best thing we could have done. It was amazing. We were really careful with him to start with as I was paranoid he would tread on something sharp or do something nasty to that foot. However, I needn't have worried and now he is just like any normal horse. Obviously, we check the foot carefully on a daily basis. Recovery was simple and easy. Having this operation has given my horse a useful, active life rather than spending the rest of his days looking miserable in a field. I would definitely recommend it. My only reservation is: is your horse sound on bute? because if so maybe it would be worth putting him on it long term to see if the inflammation goes away of its own accord.

Dreckly

Visit site
Thank you all for your responses they make interesting reading. I have a lot to consider over the coming weeks and hope i make the right decision.

Chester15

Visit site
Is he lame in front or behind? My boy had double neurectomy on his hind suspensories 18 months ago, aged 15 and hes come back absolutely flying. He'd been struggling with intermittent lameness although I'd describe it as more "not right" rather than lame for at least three years and two vets and numerous investigations showed up noting. Was at the point of deciding to have him PTS as I didn't want him to suffer any longer, especially as no one could find out what was going on, but was recommended one last vet to try. Thank god I did as he immediately thought hind suspensories so was sent for bone scan which showed various hot spots (although he'd previously had a front end scan which showed nothing) and the sites were then blocked out to reach a definitive conclusion. Had the op, was home two days later, I think box rest for about 6 weeks then walking in hand to gradulally build up and I was back on three months after he'd had the op. Best thing I did for him, hes going great guns at his dressage although I still haven't jumped him but that's just my choice as I don't want to risk damaging him, plus he's 17 this year so want to look after him. All the best what ever you decide to do.

Gorgeous George

Visit site
Firstly I'm sorry you are having problems with your boy, it is bad enough when you know what the problem is but worse when it is unexplained.

I know your boy's problem is lower down his leg, but George had a double neurectomy on both hind suspensories in July, he had 2 months on box rest with hand walking after 2 weeks. I was allowed to get back on 3 months post surgery, just walking and started trot work about 4 1/2 months post surgery which is where we are now. All being well we are hoping to canter in Jan which will be 6mths after his op. Touch wood and fingers crossed he is doing really well so far, the vet warned me that the neurectomy could change his gait due to the change in sensation in his back legs, but this doesn't appear to have happened.

I really hope things come right for your boy.

Polonaise

Visit site
If the suspected nerve is superficial get some EMLA cream (local anaesthetic so you'll need precription). I tried this with a horse that started head shaking after surgery, it effectively diagnosed the problem and the massaging actually fixed it long term.
Also wonder if warming the leg somehow might help, I have nerve damage and god does it hurt in the cold.