Never has a wet dressage lesson made me so happy!

Sarah_Jane

Visit site
Lets face it a dressage lesson in the wet is not the thing that would usually leave me grinning for the rest of the day! :D This week Robert Pickles was doing his clinic with the Cornish Dressage Group, Thursday we had a good session with Pips and today I decided to take Sarnie.

Most of you will know that Sarnie is just returning to work following a year off after a operation to remove a keratoma (benign tumour of foot) at the beginning of the year. She has now been back in work just over 12 weeks and I was itching to get her out even if it was to her most hated activity - dressage. In fact a weekend for milestones as yesterday I let her have her first jump. She saw it squealed took off hurdled it landed bucked and grinned! Will build that up steadily if I can!

So today decided to take her for my dressage lesson. She saw the ramp down on the lorry and bolted up the ramp at a rate of knots. Not sure she was quite as cheerful at the other end when it was pelting with rain and the white boots / bandages went on!

Anyway luckily weather could have been worse. We did a lot of basic lateral work, transitions and basic work. All I can say is Wow :D :D :D She went better and also moved better than she has in a long time. She was also happy to be working and not nearly as uncooperative as usual. Robert noticed a real difference :D I can't believe she has come back so well. Have to say also started her on NAF Superflex a few weeks ago and wondering if that has made a difference?

Not much video due to weather but what does everyone think?

[youtube]0nbr1koY-I8[/youtube]

Still grinning :cool:

Last edited:

Nugget La Poneh

Visit site
Looking good!

And hats off for riding in that weather :D

Sometimes having time off is enough to pick up a horse - highly underused as a schooling tool. Fat Poneh had 4 weeks forced time off and he has come back actually wanting to work, a lot smoother and reactive off the leg.

PorkChop

Visit site
She is looking so good.

Do you think the Keratoma was attributing to her under-par performances before she was diagnosed?

Would be lovely to think she might be better than ever now :)

Sarah_Jane

Visit site
She is looking so good.

Do you think the Keratoma was attributing to her under-par performances before she was diagnosed?

Would be lovely to think she might be better than ever now :)

It is possible is takes about a year to grow down although doesn't usually start troubling them until it reaches the bottom. I really hope it was the problem - if only they could talk!

robthecob

Visit site
She looks lovely :)
She really is your horse of a life time isn't she :) odd comment maybe but I can tell by the pat you gave her just how much you think of her. I have one of those, I sure hope she isn't the one that takes me the furthest as we have achieved nothing due to injury but she has taught me bigger things than dressage or jumping and riding her is just the most right feeling in the world :) :D

Sarah_Jane

Visit site
LIKE LIKE LIKE!!!!!! :D :D :D

Love Sarnie so much, grinning for you!

Did you see the Vet program on Channel 5 the other week? There was a horse in having a Keratoma removed and it made me think of you.

I did see it, must admit was very glad we did hers at home heavily sedated but not under GA. My vet and farrier did a super job :D

rflynn

New User
Visit site
Hi Sarah_Jane
just wanted to say I completely understand what it's like for that first lesson - my horse had a keratoma about 8 years ago, which grew back (he had 2 ops) and I remember that lesson so well - on a cloud! x

Sarah_Jane

Visit site
Hi Sarah_Jane
just wanted to say I completely understand what it's like for that first lesson - my horse had a keratoma about 8 years ago, which grew back (he had 2 ops) and I remember that lesson so well - on a cloud! x

It is a great feeling, you have worried me though as I understood they rarely grew back :(

rflynn

New User
Visit site
sorry if I worried you, yes it is very rare, so please don't worry! it was a large one to start with, he had it removed under GA and it grew back relatively quickly afterwards, the vets think they hadn't removed enough first time because they were trying to preserve the hoof structure inside. As it happens, second time around they removed practically all of it, and despite that I've had a sound horse for many years. I'm always so happy to hear of horses who are doing so well after keratoma surgery :) enjoy!

Sarah_Jane

Visit site
sorry if I worried you, yes it is very rare, so please don't worry! it was a large one to start with, he had it removed under GA and it grew back relatively quickly afterwards, the vets think they hadn't removed enough first time because they were trying to preserve the hoof structure inside. As it happens, second time around they removed practically all of it, and despite that I've had a sound horse for many years. I'm always so happy to hear of horses who are doing so well after keratoma surgery :) enjoy!

Yes that makes sense they were fairly happy they got it first time so fingers crossed. Glad to hear yours all ok now :)