Never look a gift horse...

Vindaloo

Visit site
You never know how long you may have them.

Casper was bought for me as a surprise by my hubby. I had the pleasure of him for all too short a period of time. I lost him to colic and I miss him every day, life just is full of what if's and if only.

I put this together, it gives me comfort to see him. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3gP3bIYbnpU&feature=plcp

I only wish the green fields and freedom I promised him had been this side of the rainbow bridge.

He was an ex racer and had the most generous, kind, giving nature. He was one in a million and I'd do anything to have him back.

I am now horseless, I just can't think of taking on another out here, lack of veterinary expertise, stabling etc means its something I just can't face.

I come on here a lot and love reading everyone else's horse related lives gives me my equine fix.

I just wanted to share his memory with you.

Vindaloo.

irishcob

Visit site
What a lovely horse (and a lovely hubby too!). So sorry to hear you lost him, it is so very hard, but you certainly have some lovely memories of him, and I'm sure he was grateful for every moment of kindness you gave him.

Bigbenji

Visit site
So sorry to hear you lost your boy 😕
You looked like you had a lot of fun together so try to treasure those memories.
RIP Casper xxx

Firewell

Visit site
Oh how sad :(, he was so beautiful as well. My mums gorgeous ex-racer was taken from us by colic and it was so sudden, it's so awful :(. Maybe one day it will be the right time for you to look after another horse worthy of your love. RIP casper

Vindaloo

Visit site
Thank you so much for watching and for your lovely words/thoughts. I absolutely loved that boy and I do, very much think of all the good things.

Can't explain why but sharing the little I had with him gives me such pleasure.

Mind you, watching it again makes me think, ooh, your blooming hands. KEEP THEM STILL.

He never complained love him.

Vindaloo

Visit site
Firewell, it is incredibly dry and silly hot. However in monsoon, that whole paddock was under a foot of water for weeks. I had no choice but to ride in it.

Had he lived, I think he'd have made a great eventer, absolutely everything was thrown at him and he just got on with the job.

Thank you Ffionnwinnie, he was an absolute cracker.

Last edited:

YasandCrystal

Visit site
What a beautiful horse and you were so in harmony with each other, like poetry in motion. So sorry for your loss. RIP Casper and enjoy the green fields of Rainbow Bridge xx

Vindaloo

Visit site
Yasandcrystal, that's unbelievably kind of you to say so.

I hope he's hooning around up there.

I actually lost him In September but, I don't know why, I just couldn't post about it, the end of his life was so, so terrible, even now. I'm not sure I could write it all down.

Three vets, all diagnosed differently, massive fail on every front. It was utter hell.

I took the expertise of our vets in the UK so, so for granted.

Frankly, I'd have been better off posting on here and performing surgery myself!

Vindaloo

Visit site
Hi Nah, I am utterly biased and can't help but agree with you. He was very pretty, almost too pretty for a chap.

I guess losing them is part and parcel of having horses but it never will get any easier.

One day I'll take the plunge again. Being horseless is like being without a vital part almost.

Love your posts about Ned though :)

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Thank you so much for watching and for your lovely words/thoughts. I absolutely loved that boy and I do, very much think of all the good things.

Can't explain why but sharing the little I had with him gives me such pleasure.

I know exactly what you mean. I lost my best sheep dog suddenly under horrible circumstances and I did a video for him. He was called Ghost, funnily enough. Still miss him terribly. I think its worse when they die in tragic circumstances. I do hope you will get another horse. I understand what you are saying about the standards of vets over there but the horse would be there already wouldn't it, and having you as an owner would be good for any horse. It may help you heal, what happened was very unlucky.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2XKbkLo3fo

Vindaloo

Visit site
FW, I clicked on your link and almost stopped right there, that song has me in tears on its own, let alone watching a very beautiful dog which I know has been loved and lost!

I am absolutely a dog person and watching your lad just was bitter sweet, what a stunning animal. Seeing him watch over the baby floored me. I've had no experience of border collies, my life would be way too sedentary for a worker but I have the utmost respect and admiration for the breed. I am so very sorry for your loss.

I do not doubt there will be another horse in my life at some point, I vowed no more dogs after losing Hugo, my Doby but here I am with three I took off the streets here. I'm a blooming soft touch, so, should a horse turn up, I daresay I won't say no.

Won't be actively looking though. I hear what you are saying and whilst Ill win no prizes for best horse owner in the world, for sure, there could be a couple or three that would enjoy a rather softer approach than that which they have currently over here. Xx

FfionWinnie

Visit site
FW, I clicked on your link and almost stopped right there, that song has me in tears on its own, let alone watching a very beautiful dog which I know has been loved and lost!

I am absolutely a dog person and watching your lad just was bitter sweet, what a stunning animal. Seeing him watch over the baby floored me. I've had no experience of border collies, my life would be way too sedentary for a worker but I have the utmost respect and admiration for the breed. I am so very sorry for your loss.

I do not doubt there will be another horse in my life at some point, I vowed no more dogs after losing Hugo, my Doby but here I am with three I took off the streets here. I'm a blooming soft touch, so, should a horse turn up, I daresay I won't say no.

Won't be actively looking though. I hear what you are saying and whilst Ill win no prizes for best horse owner in the world, for sure, there could be a couple or three that would enjoy a rather softer approach than that which they have currently over here. Xx

This is the eternal problem with animals. Great while you have them but when you lose them, god, its hard! I do believe in fate so something might fall into your hands when you least expect it. Ghost was a tough hard to handle dog on cattle and sheep, a top handler said to me about him, you could cut his legs off and he would still drag himself to work and someone else said he could move an elephant. Yet he loved children and was always gentle with people, cats, kids etc, and when he was 7yr old my daughter was born, he was so pleased!

Take care and thanks for your nice comments about Ghostie.