Never underestimate a Scruffy (proud mum, sorry)

scruffyponies

Visit site
My long term sharer (15) took some fairly harsh pony criticism over the summer from a friend's rather 'old-schoool' granny, regarding Duke's conformation (Charitably, he has a plain front, under-developed behind and slightly roach back). Friend was due to enter the NF Point to Point this year, so sharer decided to give it a go herself.

Duke was pulled out of the field, unclipped, unshod, un-prepared and unfed (grass only). Despite his reputation for being a complete ass (rears and backs up) , his rider had forgotten her crop, so her mum cut a stick, hoping it would be allowed. He ate the stick before the race started.

They thoroughly enjoyed themselves and finished a very creditable 5th out of 20.
Sadly the friend bottled it, and didn't enter.

Here he is heading towards the finish, looking pretty fresh, and perky.
3 miles across a bog in 11 minutes.

1640683791547.png

scruffyponies

Visit site
Well done and to hell with the naysayers. Duke has super hooves by the way. I always look at the feet first and if they are good enough I look at the rest of the horse.

Thanks. He looks to have a bit of flare on the inside front, which is about right for him. He doesn't quite wear straight, so although he pretty much self-trims on the road-work, I just straighten him up every now and then.

scruffyponies

Visit site
Taking "un-prepared" as lacking the normal finishing touches rather than "unfit", that's the kind of spirit and fun horse owning is all about, they both look like they are having a ball.

We've certainly had him fitter and he's a bit tubby but yes, they have been hacking out regularly for a couple of weeks in anticipation of doing a bit of fast work.

It does help that he's out 24/7 and our regular hacks aren't slow.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
We've certainly had him fitter and he's a bit tubby but yes, they have been hacking out regularly for a couple of weeks in anticipation of doing a bit of fast work.

It does help that he's out 24/7 and our regular hacks aren't slow.

He was fit enough by the looks of it, that glint in his eye ?

I love seeing scruffy ponies showing that you don't have to have a sleek sports horse to get out there and have fun.

scruffyponies

Visit site
He knew he didn't need a stick! Well done the pair of them, I bet it was abit wet after Christmas day rain. Where was the start and finish?

Started at Bolderford Bridge and finished at Markway. Some fantastic photos on their facebook site, which really show the reality of the weather!

Reactions: tda

Flicker

Visit site
Well done! I love it when scruffy ponies clean up. We used to have a local vet whose kids always had really scruffy, funny looking ponies and they’d rock up to one-day competitions in a battered old wagon. Woe betide the competitor that took them at face value though - our vet knew her horses and bought ponies with character, honesty and talent. Her kids absolutely cleaned up and always finished the day with huge smiles, as did the ponies.

welshwizzard

Visit site
Funniest thing I ever saw was at a local show, a lad turned up on a hairy grey cob and got through to the jump off. The other kids were smirking because they thought the cob would be slow. It was slow, but they had a masterclass to watch, that cob turned on a sixpence, turned in the air,it was beautiful to watch and beat the "speedy" ponies by a mile lol.
Biggest cheer of the day, as they say, handsome is as handsome does :)