new baby and horse in the winter

impresario08

Visit site
I am currently pregnant and am due in the midst of winter, when mucking out and haynet filling will be in peak demand....No option to leave out 24/7 for the worst of winter due to yard rules. Has anyone hacked how to juggle a newborn baby and looking after a horse?!

ponyparty

Visit site
I've got less than 3 weeks to go now, eek! I've put mine on part livery so he's done for me Monday-Friday. Then at the weekend when OH is about I'll be able to get away for horsey time, or that's the plan anyway... Is there any chance you could do something similar, at least at first? As you get into the swing of things then you can start going up with baby, timing it to fit in with naps etc. That's what my friend does with hers.

I'm having a C section so I've put him on full livery for 6 weeks after op date, as you're not meant to do heavy lifting etc. Hoping to ease back into yard duties after that.
I'm trying not to pay too much attention to the threads on here that are saying "back in the saddle 3 weeks after C section" coz I just don't think that is realistic, don't know who these people are and how they managed that but I'd rather not risk bursting my op site open - and it's not just the skin that has to heal, it's the layers of muscle and other tissue below, it's not worth taking silly risks and setting myself back.

pippixox

Visit site
I had 4 on DIY when I had my first! And 3 when I had my second 9 weeks ago! But luckily it was September so weather was ok for a bit and they stayed out as much as possible. Although this time around I was heavily pregnant in the long heat wave and wished it was winter!

I luckily have a few friends withhorses next to mine (not a livery yard) so they were on stand by to help when they time came (as due date is very rare unless booked section or induction) both times I was back to the horses quickly: 3 days after first (had a very long labour and jaundice baby) and baby two and toddler were at yard just 2 days old!

Personally, I’ve just had to cope. I can’t pay someone to do them.
My best advice: get a sling, both mine did not magically sleep in car seat, but happily sleep in sling and you can manage to muck out with them in it. Plus I found it easier to turn in and out in the mud with a sling rather than getting a buggy through mud. Although my horses will happily lead next to a double buggy now

It’s hard. But I liked having some routine to the day and a reason to get out of the house. Even in the winter! Just wrap them up warm.

All the best

meleeka

Visit site
It’s not as hard as you might think. I did it and found the routine helped keep my sanity as I had something to get dressed for every day.

Babies sleep, a lot, so hopefully you can tie in with your visits to the yard. When mine were small I just parked them in a spare stable within earshot and did everything in the mornings while they slept. I bottle fed so that was probably the worst bit but used to take the water in an insulated bottle holder and the formula separate ready to mix when needed. I have my feed in an old chest freezer and changed nappies on top regularly (with a mat under baby obviously!) I did have two sets of most things, including pushchairs so that the yard things didn’t have to go anywhere they needed to be spotless for. I had a proper pram for the yard and baby was well wrapped up against the cold.

Good luck and if you are anything like me you’ll be fine until they get to the toddling stage. Then it does become tricky! :)

pippixox

Visit site
I've got less than 3 weeks to go now, eek! I've put mine on part livery so he's done for me Monday-Friday. Then at the weekend when OH is about I'll be able to get away for horsey time, or that's the plan anyway... Is there any chance you could do something similar, at least at first? As you get into the swing of things then you can start going up with baby, timing it to fit in with naps etc. That's what my friend does with hers.

I'm having a C section so I've put him on full livery for 6 weeks after op date, as you're not meant to do heavy lifting etc. Hoping to ease back into yard duties after that.
I'm trying not to pay too much attention to the threads on here that are saying "back in the saddle 3 weeks after C section" coz I just don't think that is realistic, don't know who these people are and how they managed that but I'd rather not risk bursting my op site open - and it's not just the skin that has to heal, it's the layers of muscle and other tissue below, it's not worth taking silly risks and setting myself back.

Definitely sensible: I have a friend who pushed her self and ended up with and infection and reopened wound.

All the best and enjoy it (as hard as it will be at times)

KittyH

Visit site
I've had three winter babies and have been fortunate (!) enough to be able to muck out up until giving birth with all 3 and within 24 hours afterwards with 2. With 1st I had horses a couple of miles away and used crewyards which meant husband could run them out to the field, chuck in more straw and hay and not have to do much whilst I was in hospital. When I had them (horses) at home I could do them myself or could have supervised if I hadn't been well enough. Crummy bit was relentless early mornings riding in the dark before OH went to work then not being able to do evening stables until after he got home. Still now have 4 kids and horses and still married so can be done! Btw I tried getting back on quickly but found 3-4 weeks felt a lot safer as so wobbly with no core strength even after very normal births. Good luck 😉

tatty_v

Visit site
I’m four weeks post birth and just starting to get into the swing of things. My horse is at home, which helps, so I just wrap baby up after morning feed, pop her in her yard pram and wheel her out to do the stables.

I mucked out and did all chores right up until the day I gave birth (I was lucky to be able to as I didn’t suffer with too many pregnancy related ailments). Post birth before I was up and about I got my husband to turn out, and paid a friend to muck out and put to bed. That certainly helped for two weeks whilst I got back on my feet and got into a bit of a routine with baby. I also had friends come and ride him to keep him ticking over. I’m now back on board (stitches healed quickly and I felt fine, had a canter on my first hack!) but just accepting that I can’t do as much with him as I used to as I need husband/friend to look after baby whilst I ride.

So it can be done, just takes quite a bit of organising! X

kimberleigh

Visit site
Im due very beginning of jan, and my little lad turns 2 mid jan, so its going to be a bit of a shock to me! But horses are at home, so I'm hoping this helps a lot!

Bermuda

Visit site
My winter baby needed a nap every few hours so I would plan my yard visits around that and she would drop off in the car on the way there and sleep in the car wrapped up warm while I mucked out etc. I breastfed on demand at the stables just made sure my hands were clean (obviously!). Good luck!

RoR_nut

Visit site
EEEEK congratulations soon to be mums! I am due in December so will be watching this thread with interest!

I am lucky that one of mine is on loan so I have help on hand if I REALLY get stuck.

Broodle

Visit site
Congratulations all! You've had lots of good advice above, but I would just add that although new babies do sleep alot, they're not at all keen on sleeping or eating at convenient times, at least for the first few weeks. It's very hard to fit yard routines around small babies IMO. I mucked out with my first, but paid the yard to turn out and bring in. That way it didn't really matter if the baby was cluster feeding/napping/pooing at the wrong time. Good luck!

MagicMelon

Visit site
Its only as hard as you make it IMO. Ive had 2 kids, my last was born last December so a winter baby. I keep my 3 horses at home with no help from anyone bar my mum who spent a couple of days at my house house and animal sitting when I was in hospital having him. I fed mine breakfast after my waters went (and were still gushing - that was fun) and was having contractions.

The biggest thing really is if you have a c-section or not, I had a serious one with my first and couldnt physically go near the horses for about a week due to complications but with my second I had him normally so literally when I got home I was out feeding them as usual. Im lucky my horses are at home as I could just wait until baby was having a nap and I could take monitor out while I did the horses, to ride I had to wait for my OH to be around as it was too cold to have the baby outside for long. I found it much easier to do things with a newborn as they slept a lot, so you could just time it to drive to the stables when baby is due a nap and leave them in the warm car while you do things (whilst keeping a close eye obviously). On days its not too cold and when baby gets older, definately get a baby carrier. My youngest is now 10 months old and loves going in the carrier front facing, I'll take my horses in and out, feed them, poo pick, lunge etc. with him on my front having a great time! IMO theyre safer than a buggy, hate having buggies near horses. Good luck OP!

Honey65

New User
Visit site
Wishing you both well :)

So much about having a baby is blown out of all proportion - I think women try and outdo each other with horror stories. Totally unnecessary. Really like

You're used to looking after your horse so will find a way to make it work for you. In winter we are all looking for ways to short cut and make life easier....like leaving turnout rug on in stable overnight so no rug change faff (I'm logged on trying to find time saving tips for the winter ;-)) Think about ways to get ahead when you have some time without baby. Make and bag feeds, get everything tidy and in its place so you don't waste time looking, buy second hand hay nets and batch fill with the radio on when baby is sleeping. Enjoy having company and the positive impact it will have on your baby.

mariew

Visit site
I can see how you could co-ordinate things around your baby sleeping if you could drop everything as they fall asleep and go to yard, and have no distance to get to it. Or you are lucky enough to have a predictable baby. Mine never slept long enough for me to do the desired "sleep in car and do chores / ride" kind of thing. (for the first 18 months i hate to say). It may also be easier if you have support around you who are happy to look after the little one for 1/2 hour - hour. You have to know for sure your horse would never do anything if you want to handle it if baby is in a sling, or be prepared to let it go if it plays up.

The only way i could cope was by having mine on full livery as there were days when i couldn't get off the sofa for the little one feeding.

Echo above, if you have a c-section you can't drive for 6 weeks and you really shouldn't be doing any heavy stuff for quite a while.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
If you are having a c section, I really think you need to arrange for some help - at least for a week or 2 post surgery. It is major abdominal surgery! I have had 2 c-sections and although I recovered well from both and there were no complications, don;t underestimate the impact.