New Bit!

Custard101

New User
Visit site
My new mare is in need of a stronger bit, but I'm unsure on which bit too go for.
She's currently in a full cheek french link snaffle - but she is very strong in it!
She doesn't throw her head or anything bad, she is purely just strong in it and I need
brakes, especially as she is incredibly responsive to the slightest leg or voice aid!
I was planning on going for a 2 ring french link Dutch gag, purely because I'm use
to using these bits on similar horses and do think it would work for both her and me,
but would like some more opinions on it!

Kylara

Visit site
Could try a wilkie? Or similar. Depends if it's the mouthpiece or the cheek piece that needs changing. A waterford might also help, but depends what the does when you say 'strong'.

GirlFriday

Visit site
Being responsive is a good thing. Sticking a bicycle chain or something with stupid amounts of leverage in her mouth to haul on when she is more sensitive a horse than you are a rider sucks.

What does strong mean in the instance? What does tour instructor suggest?

Equi

Visit site
I think i would be more beneficial to you and your horse to get a good trainer to teach you how to channel the energy from your legs into the bit so you are not trapped in a loop of kicking on and pulling up. You will bot be a lot happier when you both know how to work together.

Shay

Visit site
How about teaching her the voice aid for slow / stop? My daughter teaches all her eventers what she calls an "emergency brake". The are trained to stop dead at her high pitched whistle. Once in a high octane situation - hunting usually - they don't actually stop dead. But they do come back so quickly she then has control of the situation and can avoid it. If your mare is responsive to voice commands - teach her the downward ones as well as upward.