New bridleway in the Peak District !!!!

tinaub

Visit site
Just to let everyone who lives in the Peak District (and any visitors) know that the old railway line that runs from Bakewell to Blackwell, thus joining up with the Pennine Bridleway, is now open to walkers, cyclists, and, most important of all, horse riders. It' s a fantastic 8 and a half miles of off roading with brilliant scenery, and has cafes at Hassop and Blackwell. It's inspired all of us at our yard and we now use it every week. Please use it!! You will love it. The tunnels are lit up during the day and they don' t phase the horses.

irish_only

Somewhere snowy in winter, lovely in summer
Visit site
Fantastic riding, beautiful scenery and wildlife. From our yard we hardly have to go on the road.

The official opening was a couple of weeks ago, and somehow the PDNP 'missed out' :( the invite to PeakhorsePower peakhorsepower.co.uk http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/home.php?sk=group_221400264540038
a group set up and working with PDNP to re-open, maintain existing bridleways and try to create new routes. However we horse bods in the area managed to find out and make sure that there were some neddies there for the occasion.

BUT - apparently a 'high up' bod from the PDNP is rather disappointed in seeing horse poo on the trail, would it be possible for the horse riders to take a bag with them and pick it up :rolleyes:

So come on guys, book yourselves a day out and enjoy the Peak District. (Weekdays ARE better as it is really busy at weekends)

Spudlet

Visit site
I walked part of the Penine Bridleway the other weekend, hardly saw a soul (and not one horse, where were all you lot?). I saw a couple of mountain bikers and a couple of trail bikers, all of whom were friendly and careful not to squish me or my dog when he was offlead. Enjoy it, it must be lovely to have such a resource on your doorstep, so make the most of it, and if you see me do say hi:D

ironhorse

Visit site
OOh very jealous, saw part of the Pennine Trail last year when I was covering an endurance ride for a mag, and it was lovely. Proximity to the railway line and tunnels did cause our 'guinea pigs' some anxiety tho - guess it is something that you get used to :)

Tinkerbee

Visit site
Ooh really? Great news, Hassop cafe is fab now as well, I love that place. :D

Sounds like a great route :)

tinaub

Visit site
Still raving about the new bridleway!! Three of us went from our yard riding two Exmoors and a Welsh cob went on Saturday to Hassop, where we had a cup of tea, and on the way back went off the track after the old Longstone Station to investigate the bridleway which goes to Bakewell. There are mostly really good gates and a super gallop up a green track. We didn' t have time to go to Bakewell (that is planned for two weeks time) but on the way back we got off the track at Upperdale and my Welsh cob went in the river!! up to his belly!! For the first time with me on him!! Would he swim, I wonder. Fantastic ride which took about 5 hours. Some of the cyclists we met a bit bad mannered, whizzing past us and into the paths of other cyclists and walkers. The man with the bike that you 'drive' with your hands was brilliant and stopped both times that he saw us.

ISHmad

Visit site
Sounds amazing. Such a beautiful part of the country too. Does anywhere up there do B+B for horses and riders do you know?