new companion

Sallyfinn

Visit site
I'm not a new owner or rider but i think this might be the best place for my question.
I keep a 7yo cob at home for general hacking, schooling, pleasure rides etc. He hates to be alone so I have always had a loaner here to keep him company. I have been looking after a retired horse for a while but he has now gone home. I want to get another horse/pony of some description quite quickly so mine isn't miserable. I am thinking of getting a youngster. I figure if I'm paying to look after a horse and spending time poo picking etc. it might as well be one I could eventually ride. I am thinking of a 14hh ish cobby type. I have never owned a youngster before. Will i be taking on too much? I would send him away to be backed.
Thanks

hnmisty

Visit site
If you get a youngster, you'll have to put in the time and effort to bring him on. You may end up in the situation where he takes more of your time than your 7y/o.

That seems to me very much like you are getting a second horse, not one to keep yours company. As a ridden horse, he'll add on more cost than a companion, through things like saddle checks, shoeing, and as a youngster you'd probably want lessons on him, especially, as you've admitted, you don't have much experience of youngsters.

I don't know what your budget is, but if I was you I wanted a ridden companion for my horse, I would get something that was older and only needed lighter work. Or just buy a tiny pony and face the fact that it is only a lawn mower, and have all that time to give to your horse.

Plus- does he not like to be alone to the extent that you couldn't take his companion out of the field/stable? Or does he cope on his own for an hour or so ie how long it would take you to ride new horse?

I don't mean to be rude, but I'd ask yourself whether you are trying to justify getting a second horse as it being a companion for yours, when it is in fact for you (as you could get a non-ridden friend for him).

POLLDARK

Visit site
Just to point out some pitfalls..A youngster is a lot of work & your 7 year old should still be getting a lot of your attention. He may also object strongly when you take the new horse out & about. Ditto the new horse may be just as anxious when you take your 7 year old out. :( Why not give a good home to a golden oldie ? Or a small breed that won't be going out ?

Tammytoo

Visit site
Your current horse has years of working life ahead of him so, unless you are thinking of selling him when your youngster becomes rideable (and it will need a lot of attention as a youngster) I would get a small companion for your cob. The Blue Cross is desperate to find homes for their companion ponies, even just temp. foster homes, and they come with free wormers and vaccinations/teeth rasping each year.

Sallyfinn

Visit site
Thank you for your replies.
I have actually bitten the bullet and bought the 24 monther. I know he will need lots of attention but i am prepared to put the time in.
I was very reluctant to get a small pony as I had a sec A on loan 2 years ago for my daughter (who no longer rides) and it was a nightmare endlessly trying to escape and then got laminitis. My paddocks are large and trying to make smaller ones with electric tape was an endless losing battle.
More recently i have had a geriatric on loan but he really wasn't happy limping about when my 7yo wanted to play.
Wish me luck. I will be needing advice!