New Connie owner, any advice?

Mikas-mom

Visit site
hey Guys, new here so hello ?

just wondering how many of you are owners of Connies? I’ve recently decided to buy myself a lovely Dun Connie mare, never had Connies before.
any advice?
thanks ?

Wheels

Visit site
Me! I'm a relatively recent convert having had big horses mostly up until 3 yrs ago when I went horse shopping and came home with a pony.

Hes awesome, such a dude who seems to just love everything and everyone. I wouldn't call this one sharp but he is very sensitive and in the wrong hands he could be easily upset

willowblack

Visit site
Welcome to the club! We have 3! Thankfully for my bank balance two are now out on loan (my daughter would never let me sell them!)

They are extremely clever, can live on fresh air and are hardy ponies but with a terrific amount of scope and ability.
Also, congratulations on getting a dun, all of ours have been grey and are notoriously difficult to keep clean ?

Ceriann

Visit site
I have a Connie cross - decided ID’s were too big and went looking for something smaller. She’s an absolute dude.

Yeomans

Visit site
I have one, as in avatar, he has the most lovely nature and turns his hand to anything, however as people have said they can be pretty sharp. Once they learn something they never forget, getting the right saddle can sometimes be a nightmare as they are quite flatbacked. Do good on fresh air and are very friendly towards other horses (mine is). Luckily for me I managed to get a lovely Bay. Have fun with your new horse.

whizzer

Visit site
Ive got a 3/4 connie mare,completely converted me to them(previously had Tb types)
Lovely nature,hardy good doer,great feet,great teeth.
Jumps,hacks,works nicely on the flat.
Happily lives in or out.
Very forward going in the school,I hate kick along horse, yet friends kids ride & jump her & she really looks after them.
Only about 15.1hh but she really takes the leg up,I’m not a midget but never look to tall on her.

P.forpony

Visit site
Congratulations and welcome to the connie club, be prepared to never leave.
Mine was bought as a project and never left she’s far too wonderful ?
Pictures please!

CMcC

Visit site
I have one full Connie Dun
One Connie x Arab, bay and
One Connie x ? probably cob, grey
All mares.
Intelligent, opiniated, versatile, easy to keep.

Marigold4

Visit site
I used to ride a 16.3 sports horse, then when she retired I discovered connie ponies. They are really fun and versatile. I have one who was an amazing jumping pony, now 24 and retired, and current one is good at dressage. Agree that saddle fitting can be a long search and yes, they have a very long memory if things go wrong. The old pony had a tough time in a dealer's yard when young and will still to this day run from tall men in caps!

PSD

Visit site
I had a Connie x welsh (50/50) and she was the most amazing horse I ever had the pleasure of owning (my avatar) She was sharp, quirky but 10000% safe and fun, though she was a sensitive soul - a diva actually! But I swear she should have been a gelding. She was amazing with my two young children too. She’d jump the moon if I asked her to, the most loving and funny little mare. I absolutely love connies, they are the most wonderful breed and so versatile, she did everything from ridden showing to hunting, totally bomb proof and just an all round wonderful little mare

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
Welcome to the connie club! Now you have one you'll never want anything else :)

Mine lives on fresh air, went rugless last winter no bother and absolutely adores people and dogs (hates horses). She can turn her hoof to anything but as someone said above I wouldn't say she was sharp, just sensitive and thrives under fair but firm riding. If you give her an inch she'll take a mile. Very clever pony, picks things up really quickly (it's just convincing her to do it the first time which can be a struggle!). Recently gone barefoot without a care in the world.

Saddle can be a nightmare, I'm waiting on corona to p off before I hopefully get my hands on an AH native saddle. Would also strongly suggest getting a bit consultant out when you can, connemara's have big fleshy tongues so finding a bit can be a struggle.

clairefeekerry1

Visit site
I’ve got 2 of the buggers!
love them, they have massive personalities though and they are sharp, but safe I think and great fun. Congratulations

TotalMadgeness

Visit site
Congratulations! I love connies. I started with a connie x arab and now have a full 'sporty type' connie (in my profile pic). Very intelligent, hard working, tolerant and loyal. Mine likes to investigate everything (especially poo) and has the art of attention seeking down to a fine art. I love the fact he is easy to handle and a very easy pony to ride - there are absolutely no dramas and he really doesn't get phased by much. Sadly he suffers from melanomas, sarcoids and weak stifles (and a bone chip in his fetlock) so is a walking vet's bill. However he is very much loved and to have him in my life is quite simply awesome. If a tad expensive lol.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
We have one who is an angel-pony in every way. Clever, kind, brave, friendly, willing and totally genuine. Jumps like a stag and never says no. Very much an old head on young shoulders too. She was babysiting the stressy 12 yo warmbloods out hacking when she was 4 :D

She does cover herself head to toe in poo every day though.

Mikas-mom

Visit site
Sell it! They are buggers! ;)

? sounds like my usual type so nothing new then

I too am used to bigger horses, but saw her and fell in love ?
she is an overheight, 5 year Old, 15.1/2 ish, I guess sportier model.
she’s not home yet due to this bloody virus, but counting down the days.
i heard they are a breed like no other (can be opinionated, can be sweet, can be monsters ?) so im trying to do as much research now before she gets home.

but I’m sure there will be many bumps along the way, but i‘m act really excited and can’t wait.

photos below (not me riding, it’s the girl I got her from)

Attachments

• C00CF8B0-FAD9-431A-B631-C980BA325EE9.jpeg
    C00CF8B0-FAD9-431A-B631-C980BA325EE9.jpeg
    167 KB · Views: 52
  • 3967A731-C61D-4CDA-A448-BB48B32E8DEF.jpeg
    3967A731-C61D-4CDA-A448-BB48B32E8DEF.jpeg
    66.8 KB · Views: 52
  • 9374CBC9-A02B-49A6-94FF-198F7FF3BFFE.jpeg
    9374CBC9-A02B-49A6-94FF-198F7FF3BFFE.jpeg
    137.4 KB · Views: 50
  • E6D94AC2-F8CB-4397-9D68-935C0F326426.jpeg
    E6D94AC2-F8CB-4397-9D68-935C0F326426.jpeg
    178.9 KB · Views: 51
  • C08CF56A-E99D-4F17-BC96-06815C2CD181.jpeg
    C08CF56A-E99D-4F17-BC96-06815C2CD181.jpeg
    75.8 KB · Views: 52

FinnBobs

Visit site
I have a registered Connemara - he's over height but isn't really a sporty type. The number one things I have found with him are that he is much happier and more level headed when he's kept in regular varied work and that he can't be fed anything too rich including grass because he balloons and is prone to Laminitis. You also can't switch off because he can be a bit of a tinker if you aren't on the ball, particularly in company at speed! he's a great pony though :)

MiniMilton

Visit site
I have a 15.2 sporty Connie, and he's very sensitive. Straightforward and calm 90% of the time but can put on an almighty strop when he wants to, and if I don't have endless patience when he puts on said strop it can result in a very ugly situation which can take many months to resolve. (obviously I learnt my lesson the hard way!)

Do watch weight gain. Like all natives they can pile it on very quickly on good grass.

IrishMilo

Visit site
This is mine.

99292530_543431513232058_7366106166633431040_o.jpg

Wheels

Visit site
Your ew pony is lovely OP. Just to say that at 5yrs she may grow a little more and may grow outwards too lol

My boy looked like the sporty type at 4 and 5 but erm... blossomed into something a bit more substantial at 6. Hes 7 now and may still fill out a bit until hes 8.

He grew 2-3 inches between 4 and 6 yrs

This is he

20200424_201717.jpg

alexomahony

Visit site
OP she is lovely - love a Dun! Mine is grey, but i think sometimes he tries his hardest to be dun!

I have one and he is lovely, but is very tricky to bring back down to earth if he gets anxious about something! I was tacking up once, and he could hear motorbikes in the distance (he isn't actually that scared of them!) but he was convinced something terrible was about to happen... gets nervy quickly, but on a good day he is the greatest!

Photo below of me on said connie and his fancy friends haha

29542875_1724813180890470_1091227418977277800_n.jpg