New dog day!

scats

Visit site
A couple of weeks ago I had a gorgeous young black cocker in to groom. The lady told me she was actually rehoming her (very sad circumstances on the family’s part, so totally understandable) and she had a home lined up. The dog was absolutely gorgeous, as good as gold, so friendly and just an absolute sweetheart. I fell in love to be honest and told the lady if the Home fell through, to let me know.
Didn’t hear anything so assumed all was well, but a couple of days ago I got a text asking if I was still interested. The people who were going to take her had decided that they didn’t want to commit to a dog, so she was still looking for a home...

She arrives today! Initially on a trial weekend as I have to make sure all is ok with our other dogs, but my dogs are used to other dogs coming in and out as my brothers dog and friends dogs often visit.

So then there were 4!

scats

Visit site
She’s absolutely gorgeous and she’s done amazingly today, but we’ve definitely unearthed some issues! She’s very insecure and is terrified of walking on lead- lies on the floor and shakes. Even my other dogs couldn’t persuade her to carry on. Made it up the road and onto a grassy bit where she went into complete shutdown mode. When she realised we were going home she was just launching herself forwards and downwards and weaving in front of me. She doesn’t seem to know how to lead walk at all. Not a problem, we can sort that with time.
She definitely found her feet today and was quite hyper by this evening but it’s been a busy day for her. she does seem to have this absolute crazy amount of nervous energy but it’s no wonder when she is so worried about walking and not getting enough exercise. Apparently she’s terrified of travelling in cars too, so that’s something else to work on.
She wasn’t keen on settling in bed tonight (crate, that she’s always slept in at home) so we’ve shut the door to make sure our other 3 get some sleep too.
Hoping that in the morning she will feel a bit more settled. Trying to just get her into the routine of the others straight away and give her some stability. I think she just needs to learn to be a dog and do dog things.

{97702}

Visit site
She is so pretty ??? she sounds like a typical cocker to me, but fab that you have such sensible approach - I’m sure she will settle down in no time ?

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
At last ? she's beautiful, how old is she?
Sounds like a all her problems stem from insecurity, you'll get her through them soon enough.

Chiffy

Visit site
Good luck with your new charge, well done for taking her on. Look forward to hearing how she settles. Hopefully she will gain confidence from your other dogs.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
She's beautiful. It sounds likeable good job she's come to an experienced home.

Parrotperson

Visit site
she is gorgeous! Given time the issues will resolve I'm sure especially since you are calm and sensible. and the other dogs will teach her a trick or too. What's she called?