New dog finding his "voice" ...

Greylegs

Visit site
We recently adopted a staff cross type dog from a charity. He's a lovely lad and is settling in well ... now into week 8 ...

However, I couldn't help but notice that he was strangely quiet and never barked or made any other noise. In contrast to our old dog who was very vocal, this has seemed quite odd. (Not that I want him to bark continually, of course!!). Yesterday, after being completely silent for weeks, he suddenly heard next doors labs barking in their garden and had a good old bark back at them. Today he woofed once when the postman rang the doorbell, so it seems like he's finding his voice at last. Is it normal for a new dog to be quiet like this?

Chiffy

Visit site
I think they are all different. My recent rescue barked at a lot of things when she arrived, it was a defence mechanism because she was unsure of so many things , she was rescued from a muddy yard that she was shut in alone. She was only 5months or so and had no idea of the world.
I don’t like barking dogs and my two flatcoats rarely bark so they didn’t join in. Three months down the line, the new recruit rarely barks either.

Sprout

www.horse-riding-world.com
It took my Swissie 9 months before she would bark at anyone coming to the door, whereas my other Swissie puppy at 5 months would do little woofs to let me know someone was coming.
They are all different.

Lintel

Visit site
I think it's all very dog dependent the staffie we adopted for a short period didn't bark! Neither does my cousin staffie! Is it maybe a breed trait? - or I've just been lucky and met the very quiet ones!

planete

Visit site
i think many rescue dogs have learnt to keep a low profile as attracting any attention to themselves may have spelt trouble previously. My senior bitch did not look as if she would ever say boo to a fly for the first few months. She has now blossomed into a clever, bossy, noisy, enthusiastic thug!