New dog; has anyone else experienced this?

vicksey

Visit site
After losing my old boy a few weeks ago, I rescued a 14 month old border collie from a rescue centre about 2 weeks ago. No history, but he is very affectionate and well behaved so far and a pleasure to own and train (only basic heal, wait and sit etc at the moment). He is very bright and wants to please, but is extremely submissive, he has probably come from a farm but wouldn’t work.

His confidence and character has slowly grown over the last 4/5 days and yesterday he took one of my smelly horsey socks I had been wearing down the yard, he didn’t chew or mouth it, but simply took the sock and lay down with it. Then last night he decided after 2 weeks he was going to have a play with his toys that have been available to him since we bought him home (but he has had no interest at all with balls or toys) and took them very gently one by one upstairs to my spare room, where I found them all In a neat pile, along with some of my own old teddy’s that were stored on an ottoman. I thought this so was cute, and the behaviour wasn’t an issue, but I was curious if anyone else had experienced this before with their dogs. If he wasn’t a male, I would have mistaken last night’s behaviours for a phantom pregnancy or nesting hehe! He was neutered last week so definitely a boy! Ive left him with his toys today while he is on his own as I think they’re maybe comforting for him.

I would be interested if anyone else’s male dogs did similar things.

JillA

Visit site
Sounds to me as though he is still unsure whether he is there for keeps - that is denning behaviour, creating himself a secure area, the item with your smell on it is another "security blanket". I would expect that behaviour to die out in a few months, but mine still love their dens (i.e. their crates).

Dry Rot

Visit site
Don't know about that but I was working outside on some machine or other and had my tools and bits of the machine laid out beside me.

When I came to reassemble it, there were bits missing. I assumed I'd put them down somewhere but, no, not a trace.

Then, you've guessed it, I notice the collie was chewing something. I rescued a couple of nuts and bolts but never found other items.

Why any dog would chose to pick up metal items covered in old engine oil is beyond me. But then collies are a bit odd!

Another one was laying about while I put sheep through the footbath. The dog suddenly got up, wandered over to the bath and took a long drink. It took a couple of seconds, then she went into fast reverse, coughing and sputtering, and vomited up the dilute formalin solution.

I suspect your dog is feeling a bit lonely and lost and has taken the items for reassurance. A "comfort blanket" sort of thing. But nothing a collie does would surprise me!:rolleyes3:

vicksey

Visit site
Thanks guys, all makes for interesting reading and thinking! Do you think its ok to allow the behaviour to continue or could it lead to separation issues/anxiety/possession etc.

He was with me for about 2/3 hours continually before the sock and toy instances. We had had a walk, food, done some training and then after a sleep that’s when he did it. I can understand if he is afraid still as he came from Ireland to the rescue centre, so actually only been in the county a little over 2 weeks :)

He is very submissive and seems very unsure about what he should be doing and seeks affection a lot! it seems he wants to please and do the right thing in case he gets shouted at, I don’t think he has been hit, perhaps just a bit of a rough start. We are building his trust and confidence and asking him to do things that in turn receive praise and reward.

JillA

Visit site
It's more likely to lead to neuroses if you stop him IMO. Let him be what he wants/needs to be and his confidence will develop along with his ability to take life in his stride. No wonder he is insecure if he has been in more than one rescue centre - Collies are intelligent sensitive dogs who like to relate to people. Just don't over compensate - my Brittany spaniel was rescued by some well meaning people who babied him and he is something of a neurotic mess! Just be there when he wants you but otherwise step back and let him learn his own ways - watch what you are reinforcing too, "there there" can reinforce nervy behaviour which is exactly what you don't want!

BWa

Visit site
We took on a 2 year BC who was very insecure. We ignored the bad and praised the good. 12 years later and he is still the sweetest dog we ever had. He's staying at mine at the moment as my parents are on holiday and brings back so many happy memories when I look at him and he is still so sweet and loving. This was a dog who was scared of men, and would shy away if you had anything in your hand. Enjoy the bond.

vicksey

Visit site
Thanks everyone, i have to say compared to my old BC who was literally a bag of nerves when we got him at 3yrs and would bolt even if you coughed or sneezed, this lil lad is not half as bad. We got there after a few years with the old boy, turned him into a very confident boy, who enjoyed his obedience and fly ball and knew the difference between right and wrong and could take correction off without nearly having a heart attack.

And I suppose that’s what we are trying to achieve again, a happy dog, and not one that is confused and has conflicting boundaries. He is starting obedience class next week and I hope this brings him out of himself even more, our trainer is amazing and turned out old boy around. I’ve dealt with nervy dogs before but never one that is so submissive and seeks so much reassurance. I suppose I just dont want to let the lad down, after all a dog is for life .....

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
I've heard of hoarding/collection.

Rather than leaving the toys/a ball with him (I prefer to leave a raw bone or a stuffed Kong if they need something to occupy them), I'd use toys and balls for training and make them a really high reward so that he works for them and you are the one who gives them out and instigates the play and the game.
That way he will become even more focused on you and see you as the deliverer of all the good things! If the toys and balls are just lying around anyway, they won't be so appealing if you need to use them later for training or distration etc.

He won't hoard stuff if he doesn't have it lying around to hoard :)

E13

Visit site
I have a male dog who does this! He steals socks/underwear if they are lying around, loves shoes and slippers, and always takes his lead back to his bed. He never chews anything, just lies with them. It's never an issue, we just see it as a bit of a comfort thing. Though interesting nonetheless.

TarrSteps

Visit site
I've known a couple of dogs that have done it. A friend's dog puts things behind the settee in their living room. She doesn't guard or chew them at all but it can make for confusing minutes when a glove or similar has mysteriously gone missing.

Neither of mine are that into toys but the younger one has a few things to chew around and she will sometimes have a "busy evening" and move them all to her bed, apparently just for the heck of it. Sometimes she will add one of my OH's socks. (I'm prissy about my clothes so she'd have to work a bit to get something of mine!) For her is seems to be more boredom related though, as she usually only does it if she's had a quieter than usual day.

Last edited:

Archangel

Visit site
Our dog arrived after being dumped and handled roughly. To all outwards appearances she appeared to have settled really well and was very happy, but her first Christmas with us was only two months after arriving and she actually got a bit worried about her presents (not badly so, but she looked worried rather than happy). I just ignored the presents and if she wanted to hide them she could. The problem just seemed to go away as she realised there were no nasty surprises. The following Christmas she was galloping up and down the stairs showing the cat her presents and going crazy so she must have just felt insecure.

RutlandH2O

Visit site
I have a male dog who does this! He steals socks/underwear if they are lying around, loves shoes and slippers, and always takes his lead back to his bed. He never chews anything, just lies with them. It's never an issue, we just see it as a bit of a comfort thing. Though interesting nonetheless.

We had a male Golden Retriever that made the trip from New York to Hawaii as a pup. He was very confident, affectionate, and sensitive. He was also the most intelligent of our herd of Goldens. We started him in obedience when he got out of Hawaii's then compulsory 4 months quarantine. About two months into his training, he started losing his coat. He was diagnosed with demodectic mange. His treatment was very successful and he was never bothered by it again. The feeling was that all the changes in his young life amounted to a stress level that affected his immune system. He did become a show champion, acquiring his obedience novice title along the way. His propensity for retrieving was extremely strong...if I had a basket of clean laundry folded and ready to be put away, he would gently carry folded socks, bras, knickers, shirts, you name it, one at a time into the living room and make a stack neatly piled next to the sofa. If we had visitors, this behaviour was even more elaborate. He would add his toys to the collection. Once, he added a bunch of bananas to the top of the pyramid. Then he would lay down next to his treasures and wait for the giggles and repeated references to his name. Because of this behaviour, I NEVER, repeat NEVER, left dirty laundry anywhere other than in the closed hamper in the bathroom. He hadn't figured out how to undo the latch on it...something to do with not having opposable thumbs!

My OH was driving a business colleague home from work when the chap mentioned that he'd heard that we had retrievers. He asked my OH what they retrieved. Without missing a beat, hubby said "laundry."

vicksey

Visit site
Ahhh, thanks everyone, these stories are lovely to read, how you have all helped your wonderful companions have a better life :) we only had an 1 very small incident with the tooth brush charger last night, and this morning our lil lad was so excited to get up and see us and have a walk, his appetite is massive now and he is eating in front of us rather than wanting to be alone. His recall is coming on really well now, although he is still not off the lead, and he is not being so submissive in the site or down now which is hopeful.

Thanks for all the reply’s, it good to get opinions and advise from people with different experiences. Thanks again!

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
We've got one as well. Again a rescue, had had four homes before us in his first year, but seems to be an unaffected, confident happy type of dog. He has been with us three years now. He still cannot miss a chance to collect something and take it back to his basket. He never chews and is happy to give it up to you. The only issues we have ever had is with bones or food chews, as the other dog eats hers quickly and then tries to take his, so then he will stay in his basket and growl for hours. We don't give them now! Anything that is lost is 95% of the time in his basket.

His record haul was when we had builders in and they left the kitchen door open. We came home to two pairs of willies, three trainers, two jumpers, the cat's blankets, a screwdriver, a hot waterbottle and a bottle of nightnurse all piled up in his bed! He also dragged my friend's puppy back to his basket by her lead.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Lol, aaargghh!! That's not the first time this computer has auto corrected that on here!! Its a wonder I haven't got banned yet!

Thankfully that is not something I have found in his basket so far!!!

vicksey

Visit site
nt
Lol, aaargghh!! That's not the first time this computer has auto corrected that on here!! Its a wonder I haven't got banned yet!

Thankfully that is not something I have found in his basket so far!!!

haha, love it, that was definitley a laugh out loud moment

mynutmeg

Visit site
It's more likely to lead to neuroses if you stop him IMO. Let him be what he wants/needs to be and his confidence will develop along with his ability to take life in his stride. No wonder he is insecure if he has been in more than one rescue centre - Collies are intelligent sensitive dogs who like to relate to people. Just don't over compensate - my Brittany spaniel was rescued by some well meaning people who babied him and he is something of a neurotic mess! Just be there when he wants you but otherwise step back and let him learn his own ways - watch what you are reinforcing too, "there there" can reinforce nervy behaviour which is exactly what you don't want!

Absolutly