New doggie - night time issues!

tigger01

Visit site
We've just got a new greyhound bitch to replace our girl we lost. She is absolutely perfect in every way except at night when she cries (and it breaks my heart!). She is 7 years old, and has lived with a family for the last 6 years, but there were problems with their other dog and they fought. Ended up the family having to rehome her. She went to a rescue centre but was only there for one night, and we rescued her. I know she must be traumatised by the whole experience, but I was wondering if anyone had any tips to help her feel more secure, especially at night. She has my other dog for company, a sofa to lie on, plenty of food, warmth but it seems to freak her out totally, to the extent that for the last three nights one of us has gone to sleep with her til she drops off.

Poor girl - but at least she's found her forever home.

SadKen

Visit site
Well done on the rescue, I'm so pleased she has found you.

I know what you mean about the crying. I've only had pups, but it's the worst part of it (worse than the poo!). after the first one (sitting up at 2am cuddling a puppy in my dressing gown and gasping 'HE... MISSES... HIS... MUM' to my OH through my tears, I swore I wouldn't do it the next time, but I did.

Anyway, story aside, get some tissues (for you not her!) and maybe get a crate for her to sleep in - it's nice and enclosed which sometimes makes them feel secure, like they are in a little den. Is she definitely warm enough? I think greyhounds can get cold, as they are so slim and don't have a lot of fur, and if she's cold she wouldn't sleep. Maybe try a jacket for a little while? Finally, just establish a good routine; if she knows what to expect, she'll soon settle. Try not to feel too sorry for her as she might pick that up and think there is something to feel sorry about! There isn't, she's got you guys now! I'm sure she will be fine very soon! Good luck.

{97702}

Visit site
You sound to be a lovely home for her - please, please bear with her, she will settle, but at the same time I have been there many times with rescue greyhounds and know what it is like :)

You have covered some of the main things already that I would recommend - another dog for company, a warm house (make sure it doesn't get chilly overnight when the heating goes off), and particularly a nice sofa, greyhounds seem to think that is essential :D You could try leave a radio on for her on a low volume, also you can buy plug-in DAP diffusers which waft invisible scent around to calm the dogs - one of those worked wonders for one dog I re-homed.

Is she used to being crated at all? And how much space does she have overnight? If a dog is used to be crated then it can be great for them, you can put a blanket completely over the crate to form a nice warm den where they will feel safe. Alternatively you could put the dogs in one room overnight if they currently have more space, close the curtains and create the same effect.

I would beware of sitting with her every night as she will become dependent on that behaviour and will develop the habit of not settling unless one of you is with her. Believe me I have been there, panicking about the neighbours as the new greyhound whines and/or howls all night, but I have found it only lasts 2-3 nights - and a nice box of chocolates can placate neighbours!

Best of luck, do let us know how things go - and pictures would be lovely, as you will soon realise I am a confirmed greyhound addict :D

PolarSkye

Visit site
Well done you for rescuing a Grey . . . I love sighthounds and still miss our Tilly (a lurcher).

I am another one who feels she would benefit from a crate . . . make it really comfy and inviting inside (you can even give her a hot water bottle, well wrapped up or if you are worried she will chew, warm her blankets on the radiator before putting in her den) and put a blanket over the top to make it very den-like. Give her a stuffed/frozen Kong to chew on, make sure she has plenty of water and just leave her to it . . . perhaps with a radio or tv on really low.

If you persevere, and you are sure she is warm enough/comfy, she WILL settle.

Pictures please! ;).

P

moppett

Visit site
my hounds LOVE their snug little equafleece jumpers! it keeps them warm and i think the close contact/fit of them is reassuring!(plus they have a very cosy dark crate with a sleeping bag in it - for some reason our dogs love lying on sleeping bags so much more so than duvets)
good luck!!