New drug for Cushings - Prascend?

Sadiemay

Visit site
Hi,

I have just swtiched vets as I have relocated my mare to be much nearer to my home. And I just spoke to the new vets about her Cushings and ongoing management with Pergolide, they informed me that they are not allowed to prescribe Pergolide anymore but instead an equine version called Prascend (Pergolide will not be prescribed as essentially it’s a human drug and not designed for animal use)

I have to admit I am a little bit gutted as the discontinuation of Pergolide will mean not being able to get a prescription from my vet and then getting it from a regular chemist which makes it quite a lot cheaper rather then paying the vets inflated drugs charges…ho hum!

Is anyone using this new drug for their Cushings horses? I am a little anxious to try a new drug as my girl is doing so well on the Pergolide and don’t want to change unless its in her best interests and will be better for her longterm.

I believe Prascend and Pergolide are essentially the same just that the Prascend is designed specifically for equine use :confused:

Any thoughts or feedback on this new drug would be much appreciated.

Sadiemay

ew1801

Visit site
sorry cant help but my mare is on pergolide for her cushings so would be very interested to know about this new drug as my vet has never mentioned it being discontinued. please keep this post updated

0ldmare

Visit site
Seems odd as mine only started on Pergolide 8 days ago! Cant help wondering if your new vets might have an eye on profit and, therefore, wants you to buy an animal only drug (but perhaps I'm being overly suspicious!)

funkydebs

New User
Visit site
From what I figure, Prascend is Pergolide (the name prascend is just a brand name). My vet has written me a prescription for my horse for Prascend and i have found it on a few pet prescription sites. The cheapest one seems to be www.365vet.co.uk, but still not as cheap as pergolide used to be from chemist!:mad:

smiggy

Visit site
Sadly now that prascend is available, vets will no longer be legally allowed to prescribe pergolide, unless they have a really good reason to do so. (cost doesnt count unfortunately).
Not your vets trying to rip you off, just your vet trying not to get struck off for prescribing outside of regulations!
If there is no vet licensed product to treat a condition, vets cam prescribe human drugs, once licensed product realeased then even if its identical, has to be prescribed instead. Daft but true :mad:

fatpiggy

Visit site
We can all thank the European Union for this! I'm a long-standing victim too as my mare has to have drugs for her epilepsy. 1000 tablets which lasts us 2 weeks costs £115 and that is after the discount my vet managed to negotiate direct with the manufacturers (£145) but if I was to go and buy the identical drug at Boots, it would be under £20. A friend of mine who is a pharmacist though did tell me about a vet who successfully managed to prescribe it for a dog and got around the rules by saying it was allergic to one of the fillers used in the manufacture. Nice one!

impy01

New User
Visit site
Funkydebs - thank you for the website for cheaper Prascend. My arab was diagnosed 5 weeks ago and I've been trying to find cheaper tablets ever since. Your website £49 for 60 tablets, my vets £79 for 60 tablets. Thank you:D

Luci07

Visit site
Just been talking to my vets about this - my old girl has come home and is on this and they have said the same - they will have to prescribe Prascend as the equine equivalent too.. however, I will be looking at the websites - I have just paid £95.00 for 100 tablets of peroglide which is a lot more than I had thought so definately interested in cheaper options!

Crazy Friesian

www.stablepeople.co.nr
From what I understand they are one and the same. The difference is that it is now licensed for Equine use (wasn't before) and because the research has gone into it and gained a license the price has gone up.

It was used for humans in the treatment of Parkinsons and Alzheimers but apparently they are withdrawing it from the human market because they have found evidence of calcification of the heart. - According to my vet.