New EU Law - Owners must agree not to eat their horses

Paddywhack

Visit site
I have already signed all my horses passports that they are not to be used for human consumption,a vet need to know that anyway for any future treatments..a passport is not legal, according to my vet, unless that part is signed,so for me this is "old" news !

Rollin

Visit site
Here in France where they do eat horse meat no vet has EVER asked to see a passport before administering treatment. Mine only come out of the box for vaccinations!!!

martlin

www.martlinequestrian.co.uk
[ QUOTE ]
Had i better take him off the bbq then?

[/ QUOTE ]

grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Nah, you'll be just fine
grin.gif

D

Donkeymad

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone who refuses to sign up to the regulations could face prison or an unlimited fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no way that such a regulation can be made. It basically says unless you sign to something you may not agree with, you cannot own a horse. This is not an issue for most UK people, but is still a form of blackmail.

shoeey

Visit site
As far as I can see this is not in the regs.
I think they may be confused by the new drug withdrawal rules which say certain drugs may not be used on horses going for meat.
The fine/prison probably applies if you allow a horse to go into the food chain that has been treated with a banned drugs.
Typical shoddy journalism from the red tops - but I'm not sure why the Telegraph had to repeat it!
Let's hope H&H can interpret it a bit more clearly
grin.gif

Fairynuff

Visit site
Ive asked all of my livery owners if they wanted to sign 'chapter 9' of their horses passports. Once signed, they (the horses) cannot for any reason (in theory) go to the slaughter house but must be put down at 'home'. For me this is a step backwards and is doing no favours to the equine population. There are many horse owners (here in Italy) who are having difficulty in feeding and shoeing their horse and would not be able to affront the cost of having their horse (for whatever reason) put down by a vet THEN sent to a rendering plant. said horses are going to be passed from pillar to post and eventually end up in a living hell waiting to die of 'natural causes'
crazy.gif
. Would it not be better to be dispatched as quickly as poss or would it be better to live a life of pain, hunger, misery et al? I know what I would want for my animals
ooo.gif
This law is doing a huge DISFAVOUR to all European equines. Mairi.

Mike007

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Had i better take him off the bbq then?

[/ QUOTE ]

Can I make my horse sign up to stop eating me then.
smile.gif

Spudlet

Visit site
As I understand it you only have to sign section 9 if a drug which is banned for human consumption is given to your horse (eg bute). This is not new. But it does make a good, lazy, EU-bashing story, hence why journos are running it...
smirk.gif

Mike007 if you find the section in the human passport for horses to sign to stop eating people please let me know where it is!