New field and sheep grazing it

Ali27

Visit site
So I’ve finally purchased a 5 acre field which was cut for hay in July! Got 100 sheep on it grazing it down before my two good doer ponies go on it next week. I’m wondering whether to Harrow sheep poo in? Any ideas? Thanks ☺️ They have been on 2 acres for a week!

canteron

Visit site
No I wouldn’t bother- horse worms can’t live in sheep and vice versa so brilliant to cross graze for keeping grass sweet.
There poo is a good fertiliser and so small it breaks down quickly anyway.
If you have lots of ‘thatch’ (dead grass) it might be worth harrowing at some point to tease it out - but then I would leave until a good rain or two to settle the soil before putting the horses on.

Melandmary

Visit site
I can't remember now ?. I asked about it about June time when my grazing was out of control and someone recommended sheep as 1 of my fields has no access for machinery but my memory fails me as to why I should leave the gap. Perhaps as it is a smallish field and it will be covered in sheep poop ?

Nudibranch

Visit site
I wouldn't bother harrowing, ours graze with sheep almost year round. It's very good for worm control BUT do keep an eye on their feet. Sheep are very good at spreading bacteria that will cause thrush if the farmer doesn't have footrot under control. From memory I think 3 weeks is the minimum rest period for breaking the footrot cycle so maybe that's where the 2 weeks comes from?