New Forest ponies

Whereismyglove

New User
Visit site
Hi,
First time posting so be gentle.
Does anyone have any experience/understanding of New Forest pony breeding and how parentage is known if they are Forest born?
Just got my daughter a lovely pony however his passport says part bred but Forest born.
I thought all ponies running the forests were New forests?
He's a lovely pony and it would be a huge shame to trim him up for competing.
Can anyone help/advise?
I contacted the breed society who advised me to contact his breeder which I have tried to do but not had a response
🙂

meleeka

Visit site
I imagine the Dam wasn’t registered so your pony isn’t eligible for breed society registration as a purebred. The sire would have been known as they have fairly set areas in the time they are out. Commoners with grazing rights are allowed to put other ponies out. There are are loads of Shetlands out too.

Unfortunately if he’s registered part bred, then the rules of turnout apply.

SO1

Visit site
Welcome. Lots of people on here love new forests. If she was born on the forest it is likely her sire will be a new forest as I don't think they run unregistered stallions on the forest unless they are donkeys or shetlands.

Her dam may not be a registered new forest.

Alternatively she maybe on a part breed passport due to having too much white even if both parents are registered.

Carlosmum

Visit site
There may be several reasons why he is registered as part bred. Most likely as others have said, that Dam was not registered, but could also be too much white on his body, normally long stockings or a patch of white where it shouldn't be or even blue eyes.