New Forest Pony's

Jenko109

Visit site
I had one by Gliding-High who was rehomed as he was just far too quiet for me.

We had one by Meerut Monarch who was just the most fabulous mare. She died a few years back now.

Of the newer stallions, Cadland Masterplan is very quiet. Something by him would be my go to for a future childs pony.

Sway Scrumpy Jack has got the height. Beautiful pony with more fire in his belly.

For something to make the height and be a capable pony, a youngster by Wootton Hawthorne would be nice. Every youngster I've seen by him is beautiful.

PoniesRock

Visit site
I had a new forest as my first pony. Adored her. She was hardy and lapped up the work. She wasn’t always the easiest, certainly taught me to ride in the school. She hunted like an absolute dream.

I’ve now got a part bred new forest, she stands at about 15hh. Bought her at exeter horse market as a project while my Connie was lame. Needless to say she’s been with us 5 years now! She’s built to take work, and is generally a delight to have!

suebou

Visit site
I’ve owned my new forest since she was 12- now 30, she has been incredible at everything. Sensible about traffic, drama, dogs, noises, loads, farrier but she is quick off the leg and very forward. She is prepared to consider your opinion about appropriate speed, but may well do her own(faster!) thing! she isn’t greedy but is a good doer and has been an absolute joy, except when she drops a sneaky shoulder at planks! doesn jump now but hacks 2/3 times a wee. Great with total beginners and competent riders but entirely likely to sort people out who think they can ride! 13.2 chocolate dun, old fashioned breeding, she is a Knightwood pony.

peanutsmumma

Visit site
My boy is 6 and Ive had him from 7mths old. He was only meant to maken13.3 but he is about ,14.2 now.

They are the most amazing breed, so easy to do, bold, people pleasers.........but, they are experts at getting through fencing and escaping 🤦🏼‍♀️😂

supertramp

Visit site
I have had my New Forest for 17 years, hes cheeky, and can urn his hoof to anything. Starting to slow down now at 22, but hes still up for a wild canter at times, with the inability to stop! Sire Peverill Peter Piper, Dam Peverill Penny royal. Hes a great character.

Attachments

• PIP B Small.jpg
    PIP B Small.jpg
    588.3 KB · Views: 14

windand rain

Visit site
The ones I have had anything to do with were lovely ponies calm and balanced unfortunately were complete thugs on the ground. It was the same handler so guess it was them not the ponies but both were built like tanks and used it against you.

Carlosmum

Visit site
This is/was my best boy. Merrie Monte Carlo, full forester but grew to nearly 15hh. Its 7 years today that we lost him after colic surgery. This is the last photo i have of him , all prepped and ready to go to an ODE, we wont remember that he refused to jump the double in the SJ and were eliminated!! Lots of happy memories to look back on.

Attachments

• 2016-07-09 18.16.12.jpg
    2016-07-09 18.16.12.jpg
    822.2 KB · Views: 11

Time for Tea

Visit site
The ones I have had anything to do with were lovely ponies calm and balanced unfortunately were complete thugs on the ground. It was the same handler so guess it was them not the ponies but both were built like tanks and used it against you.
Of my three geldings, two are naturally well behaved perfect gentlemen, the third one (who is the bombproof one) needs constant reminding of his manners, though I wouldn’t say he uses himself against you particularly, he just seems unaware that you are there and should be taken into consideration!

Not_so_brave_anymore

Visit site
My NF was strong and FAST, but incredibly sensible - he never spooked or bolted, he just liked to go! Very kind, entirely straightforward pony, genuinely enjoyed his job (which was to humour whatever ridiculous ideas a bunch of teenagers might dream up for the day) I wish I were that 8.5 stone teenager again! (and before anyone says "a full up 14.2 would carry 10-11 stone no problem", even that wouldn't be enough these days 🤦‍♀️🙄)

Time for Tea

Visit site
What bloodlines would people look for if they wanted a sporty NF, a bigger moving, good jumper?
Bit of a minefield that. well, the current holder of the NF Pony Performance competition is called Highfox Skyfall, by stallion called Samsons Spy. Samsons Spy is by Farriers Fingerprint, a well known stallion. Quite old now but several of his offspring are good stallions. All available to look at on NF Pony Stallions site. Applewitch Magic is another well known sire.

SO1

Visit site
The more athletic sporty ponies may not be the easiest to handle so you might want to take that into consideration that talent can sometimes come with quirks.

List of top stallions last couple of years some are deceased or geldings now. The mare lines may also have an impact.

What bloodlines would people look for if they wanted a sporty NF, a bigger moving, good jumper?
20230325_182757.jpg

gallopingby

Visit site
Farriers Fingerprint stock would be worth looking at, there are always plus and minus points but he seems to have been consistent over a number of years. I think it’s important that performance stallions can and do perform in various ridden activities as these ensures that the temperament is likely to be good.

J&S

Visit site
The more athletic sporty ponies may not be the easiest to handle so you might want to take that into consideration that talent can sometimes come with quirks.
I rather disagree with this: the keen beans are much easier than the stubborn lazy ones! You want a pony with a good work ethic, it is noticeable right from the start.

SDMabel

Visit site
I used to work at a riding school which mainly used New forest ponies ( with a few highlands chucked in there).

They all differed in sharpness, but all had a fantastic work ethic with a 'bring it on' outlook to life.

If you are on facebook, there is a page for owners/breeders of the forester ponies it may be worth joining to see a few different bloodlines and get a feel for them.

I would have one anyday, they were fab ponies

Ricedance

Visit site
I have a 23 year old gelding I’ve had for many many years. He had a life of fun and jumping, spinning round big fences and hacking for miles as a younger boy.

He is chill in every single way on the ground, friends or no friends, rain or no rain, in or out whatever does not phase him. Perfect for the vet and farrier and very good to clip except under his chin (think it vibrates his brain!) he’s extremely smart, he knows exactly what is being asked of him by way of the lightest touch or spoken word.

He has a touch of asthma and has been on soaked hay forever and I’ve become extremely vigilant at weight management, especially since he has retired following surgery. Rock hard feet if slightly contracted heels. One lame day in his life with a huge abscess. They are the absolute best and very easy to manage