New Forest Sales...

Louisex

Visit site

Just Been Thinking Weather Or Not It Is A Good Idea To Buy A Foal From The New Forest Sale And What Time Of Year Is It On??
Has Anyone Been There Before??

wowser

Visit site

you cant really go wrong with a new forest.
they have seen a great deal in their little lives on the forest so dont have to may worries.
if you can stable a foal when you bring it home and make it totally depend on you, it makes it eaiser to bring it round, thats really for the ponies that have less people contact.
most of them have had quiet alot of human contact.

Archie07

Visit site
I have nothing helpful to add to this thread really apart from...BUY ONE BUY ONE BUY ONE!! Fantastic ponies!!
grin.gif

Morgan123

Visit site
hiya, have been thinking of doing the same myself, so elt me know how it goes!!
i know this is down to individual opinion btu i'd seriously have a think before 'stable a foal when you bring it home and make it totally depend on you' as someone else said, that is really not a natural way for a foal to develop. all the foals i know that have had a huge amount of human contact and/or been dependent on hunmans from a young age have ended up bolshy, disrespectful and insensitive - this is with a whole variety of different owners so is not down to individual style breaking in etc. The mother teaches the foal manners and to behave, so if removing it from its natural environemtn you should leave it with other horses in the field and accustom it to people really slowly, this will produce a hoirse with a far more natural attitude to life!!

good luck, i look forward to hearing how it goes!
xx

dozzie

Visit site
We bought from the NF sales many years ago. The pony we bought died 2 years ago aged 25! We bought a couple of foals and a 2 year old (still have him aged 30).

The NF foal we bought was totally wild and very young, too young really to be weaned. She was lice ridden and very difficult to get near to. I cant really remember how long it took to get her to allow us near her. Possibly about a month but maybe more. She just stood with her bum towards us for some weeks. It did help having a handled foal with her as she gradually began to trust. We kept the two foals together in a large stable (14x14). She jumped out several times especially if the other foal was taken out. She also refused any food other than grass!

She turned out to be a great pony in the end! You just have to remember many are totally unhandled, have not been weaned etc and therefore they are quite distressed by the time you get them home. Of course things may have changed but i doubt it!
grin.gif
You also need to worm them quite quickly.And only buy one that can be registered(unless you see a cracking one that isnt!)

I saw a few nice TBx NFs go through the ring which is a cross I really like. But they obviously go for more money.