New Forest x tb

Muddymare

New User
Visit site
I've seen a nice looking example of this unusual cross for sale - does anyone know or own one of these? I had a lovely NF for my daughter but she was only 13 hands - this one is 15, and looks great fun.
Advice gratefully recieved.

Faithkat

Visit site
NF x TB is not an unusual cross round here. The first horse I ever bought was 3/4TB 1/4NF foal and I have a friend who has so far bred three from a TB mare who is currently pregnant with her fourth by a NF stallion. In fact, she has a very nice yearling NF x TB yearling filly for sale. They make very nice large ponies/small horses.

dozzie

Visit site
My old boy is a NF x TB. Lovely cross. I had him as a 2 year old and he took me right through my teens and further. Unfortunately for me he only made 15hh which was a bit small latterly ( I got too heavy really). TB x NF is quite a sane cross. TB x Welsh can be a bit more feisty but great fun. I love TB x natives. They can be great second or third ponies!

I would think twice about a TB x Shetland though!
grin.gif

lauraanddolly

Visit site
My mare is NF x TB. As others have said, wonderful cross. My girlie is 15.1hh, she is 16 now but I have had her since she was 9, when I have the money I will be seeking another NF x TB or possibly for something a little different a TB x welsh.
I find she is the best of both worlds - sane and a good doer but capable of quite a turn of speed and can be challenging(in a good way), we've done a bit of everything together over the years and I will never part with her.

Twinkletoes

Visit site
Not an unusual cross.. Can make a Lovely sort. We once had two pc summers on a nf x tb, it was amazing. Had the temperament of the forester and the hardy legs, but the speed of a tb. Very best of luck in your decision making.

PennyJ

Visit site
It's a quite highly sought after cross down here in the forest, particularly with the Commoners for their drifting ponies. If it works right, you get the hardiness and temperament of the forester combined with the extra height and speed of the TB.

Sophiesmum

Visit site
My 14.2 was a NF x TB and was an amazing competition pony - super jumper without being insane! Can't beat a native x tb imo. Good luck

Sprout

www.horse-riding-world.com
My daughter has one, a full up 14.2hh, and he is ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!

He is very calm, and easy to handle, can jump like a stag but never gets silly, does a bit of everything, does a good dressage test, enjoys SJ and adores XC.
He hacks out on the Forest and copes with all the wild ponies etc.

I cant wait for my daughter to grow out of him, then I can have him for hacking.
grin.gif

mossy

Visit site
I had a NF x TB and he was fab, he stood 15.2 was stunning looking, had a massive jump,was very bold, fantastic cross country, really sure footed and a total sweetheart to look after, i would have another like him tomorrow.

itsme123

Visit site
it's not an unusual cross at all
smile.gif

My friend owns a NF stud and breeds a few NFxTB. She uses her little NF stallion, who has a jump to die for, and well bred ex racer mares. The result are lovely teenagers horses perfect for PC, RC etc.They do well in showing classes and have an easy calm temperament. In actual fact all of her NFxTB foals are sold very very quickly in comparison to the full registered NF foals.

lauraanddolly

Visit site
Charlie - could you pm the name of your friends stud please ? Very interested in possible sources for a NF x TB youngster some time in the future, would like to have a few places to try rather than waiting for the odd one to pop up here and there!
Very sorry to hijack !!

justjay

Visit site
NF x TB is not an unusual cross round here. The first horse I ever bought was 3/4TB 1/4NF foal and I have a friend who has so far bred three from a TB mare who is currently pregnant with her fourth by a NF stallion. In fact, she has a very nice yearling NF x TB yearling filly for sale. They make very nice large ponies/small horses.

I actually own the TB mare referred to here ! She is back home with us now - and is due to foal next MArch!! We are hoping for a small RH type this time (different NF stallion) but her other 3 have been ssuoer foals

sandr

Visit site
My Boss is a NFxTB, wonderful little horse, very easy to do, nice laid back temperment. Id definatly have another.