New grass field

Bubblewrap

Visit site
We are considering moving our horses, one old chap and four younger horses, to a field that has, for a number of years been arable but has now been seeded to grass. The grass has not been grazed at all and it is still short grass at the moment, I`m not sure when it was seeded but probably last year. How would you move the horses onto new grazing from established grazing where they have been for a number of years. I am worried about colic and laminitis especially the old horse. I`m thinking short turnout to start with - we have stables and they come in at night with hay all year round where we are anyway.. I would like to have 24 turnout during summertime eventually. Is there anything I should be aware of with new grass. thank you for replies!

twiggy2

Visit site
according to the farmers I know new seeded grass needs a least one year ungrazed, needs to be topped and rolled often in that first year to create a good root structure, as this winter has been so wet it is likely to be in need of over seeding and another 6 months or so of rolling and topping to make good pasture.

as for colic and the change from established to new grass it depends on what it was sown with and if it has been fertilised.

Bubblewrap

Visit site
thank you twiggy2, that's the sort of info/knowledge I was looking for! Don`t think its been topped or rolled, just sown and left. We could get this all done before moving on to it, as it would be a long term move.

martlin

www.martlinequestrian.co.uk
Ideally, you want to take at least one cut of hay from it and then graze with sheep to allow the grass to properly establish before you graze with horses. It CAN be done, but it is very labour intensive.