New GSP coming .......

stoneybroke

Visit site
Well it's been 12 months since I lost my beloved rescue GSP Mocha aged 13 followed by my 13yr old Weimar Molly 2 months later :( ...gutting. I finally feel ready for another GSP, a puppy, although a bitch this time.....I worshipped them both and had a very special bond with Mocha that is probably unrepeatable. I do have a 12 mnth old whippet and 2 JRTs (mother and daughter 9 and 6) who I love dearly.

Mocha my GSP was rescued at 2 and always suffered separation anxiety despite always having other dogs for company when I was out. I am sure this was in part due to 4 homes in the first 2 years of his life:( I am anxious to ensure the new puppy becomes a well adjusted member of the house....always had Weimerarners from puppies pre Mocha and never had any problems. (well my dogs sleep in the bed/sofa and I know some of u will frown at this).

Any tips from GSP owners gratefully received ...in return photos will follow...she is only 2 weeks old at present.

Venevidivici

Visit site
Am sure other,more experienced posters will come on with advice on the sep.anxiety but just wanted to say....aaahh! Congrats:) Love GSPs-we got our 3rd last year,he's nearly 6mths old now.:) Condolences to you for the loss of Mocha and your Weim-hopefully new little girl will help to heal...:) Looking forward to pics!

Venevidivici

Visit site
On our way down to pick up new pup last year (2.5hr journey,so plenty of time to contemplate!),I cried over our old GSP,who'd died about 6mths earlier.:( Husband thought I'd changed my mind about pup but,it's difficult to explain,I felt disloyal and torn,too... It is hard,especially when they were a 'special' dog. I think it's just a natural part of the process.:) New pup is not, in my mind,in any way a 'replacement',in fact,he's very different to our old boy and very much his own character-a new presence in the house,not a 'refill' for the gap,so don't worry that you are replacing-it may feel a bit like that but it's not when new one arrives.
Many years ago,I had an ESS who I took absolutely everywhere with me, (even to Uni!), like a child and he slept in my room-he had some sep anxiety issues and now I'm older and (a bit!) wiser,I think a dog should be treated like a dog (albeit a well loved one:)) and that suffocating him with myself (tho we both enjoyed it at the time!) was what made him unable to cope very well without me-not the best thing for him at all,in hindsight. :( (He was a brill dog tho:))
Ever since the ESS,our dogs have slept in the kitchen,tho! You have other dogs,so your new pup will have plenty of company.:)

stoneybroke

Visit site
On our way down to pick up new pup last year (2.5hr journey,so plenty of time to contemplate!),I cried over our old GSP,who'd died about 6mths earlier.:( Husband thought I'd changed my mind about pup but,it's difficult to explain,I felt disloyal and torn,too... It is hard,especially when they were a 'special' dog. I think it's just a natural part of the process.:) New pup is not, in my mind,in any way a 'replacement',in fact,he's very different to our old boy and very much his own character-a new presence in the house,not a 'refill' for the gap,so don't worry that you are replacing-it may feel a bit like that but it's not when new one arrives.
Many years ago,I had an ESS who I took absolutely everywhere with me, (even to Uni!), like a child and he slept in my room-he had some sep anxiety issues and now I'm older and (a bit!) wiser,I think a dog should be treated like a dog (albeit a well loved one:)) and that suffocating him with myself (tho we both enjoyed it at the time!) was what made him unable to cope very well without me-not the best thing for him at all,in hindsight. :( (He was a
Ever since the ESS,our dogs have slept in the kitchen,tho! You have other dogs,so your new pup will have plenty of company.:)

Will hopefully different colour and sex will help me stop comparing them. Re sleeping on the sofa or bed.... having treated all the dogs the same Inc the 3 Weims from pups I cannot see this one sleeping in the kitchen. Mocha arrived with his issues after 4 homes by the time he was 2-never had issues with the others but he was the only dog that did not arrive as a puppy. Not sure the
JRTs would be impressed with a re-negotiation on the sleeping arrangements although they spend some nights on the sofa...they chose..as for the whippet....he is joined at the hip with the duvet and can often be found there during the day....under covers and head on pillow! Thank god for a 6ft Super Kingsize :)

stoneybroke

Visit site
The very best of luck with your new addition. We have four and have also always had weimaraners too love them all. Enjoy :D

Thank you...it was a tough decision between the 2......Mocha seemed a little more people focussed. Weims really affectionate but a little more 'their own people' ....r your experiences similar or are mine due to the fact I took on a rescue?

Venevidivici

Visit site
Soz,my previous post was open to misinterpretation-didn't mean sleeping on bed was why Mocha had SA(of course,you won't know why or what issues he had before which could have caused it, as he was a rescue.:) ) or that all your dogs should transfer bedtime to the kitchen-my last sentence just meant that the whole, actual separation issue is obviously less common with dogs who have new 'littermates' at their new home (your other dogs) from arriving there as a pup.
I did like having my ESS in the bedroom (def makes you feel safe!) but my life is very different now to how it was then,so not so appropriate now.
Bet the next 5 or 6 wks will go slow til you get her!

stoneybroke

Visit site
Oh no offence taken......but I think OH would chuck me out of the bedroom before his beloved JRT! Time seems to b flying with the job and the yard! Already counting the weeks with 5 to foal and the show horses to prep and the job! Just gotta think of a name now! Oh and try not to over visit...could end up driving the breeder mad even tho it's 2hrs away :)