New Haycube Reviews Please

Myotto

Visit site
Hi. Has anyone used the new Haycube with the trickle feeder grid? I’m thinking of getting one for my EMS horse who needs his hay soaking. I’m sick of wrestling with heavy wet hay nets. I’m interested in how robust and secure they are in the stable and how easy they are for soaking and then wheeling them around. My horse can also be a bit playful with stuff in his stable.

Baroque

Visit site
I've been using the haycube for years and love it. It's been a game changer as I, like you, was sick and tired of battling with wet hay nets, especially in the winter. I found that it was rather too easy for my horse to move the cube in the stable when I placed it on the bar designed to keep it in place so now I have a tie ring screwed in to the wall just above the cube and have a piece of baling twine tying the cube to the wall and it works perfectly.

I ordered the trickle feeder grid when they came available earlier this month and really like it. I'm hoping they will consider making a grid with smaller holes but this current one does seem to slow mine down. All in all, I'd never go back to nets!

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Sorry to bump old thread but was wondering the same!
I’m looking for a way to feed my horses from the floor rather than net but both tend to drag hay all through their beds and one chucks half of it over his door each morning.
They don’t particularly need it soaked and as such I have two redundant hay cubes from my old horse who did need it wet.
I see they now do regulators which would solve my problem of it being dragged round.

So I’m wondering as they have been out a while now, has anyone else got them?
Baroque, are you still happy with and using yours?

Last edited:

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I’ve had a hay cube with a regulator for a while now and it’s one of the best things I’ve ever bought. I feed wet and dry hay in it.
Good to know. How does the regulator work, as in i assume you fill the cube and bend it on? Then does it slide down with the hay as they eat? I suppose the horse would be pushing it down to an extent as they eat.
£50 just seems a lot for a bit of plastic, but is cheaper than buying new feeders or some kind and continuing to waste two perfectly good hay cubes!

Myotto

Visit site
There is a slot at the back of the Haycube for you to slide in the regulator. So you fill the cube and slide the regulator on top. As the hay drops down so does the regulator.

It is a lot of money but it’s a very sturdy piece of plastic. My horse is ridiculously playful - like a toddler - and so far hasn’t managed to break it or get it out.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
There is a slot at the back of the Haycube for you to slide in the regulator. So you fill the cube and slide the regulator on top. As the hay drops down so does the regulator.

It is a lot of money but it’s a very sturdy piece of plastic. My horse is ridiculously playful - like a toddler - and so far hasn’t managed to break it or get it out.
Ok, so I'm assuming mine wont have the slot as they are pre regulator days.

Baroque

Visit site
My cubes are the older style so no slot. Initially I bent the grid slightly and inserted it and it then stays in the cube permanently. To fill the cube I pull the grid to the back and curve it out of the way. Fill the cube then pull the grid up and over the top. Just very occasionally the grid is out on the floor in the morning but it's very rare.

And yes, after 6 months use I still love it. I'm still hoping for a grid with smaller holes for my EMS pony, but this one is more than adequate and will certainly serve your purpose I'd imagine.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Ah ok, sounds like it might be ideal then. I'd been looking at Stubbs slo grazers but Is prefer square as the one stable isn't very big so a hay cube fits neatly into a corner rather than takes up space like a circular one would.

Mr P is currently planning how or with what he can make a regulator, Once he's tried and failed Ill buy a few!
nb- I'm not being horrible there but he was convinced he could make a cheaper better version of the actual hay cube before i bought them, now he tells people how great they are and worth buying :D
Handily they are cheaper if you buy two!

Lovethebeach

Visit site
Ah ok, sounds like it might be ideal then. I'd been looking at Stubbs slo grazers but Is prefer square as the one stable isn't very big so a hay cube fits neatly into a corner rather than takes up space like a circular one would.

Mr P is currently planning how or with what he can make a regulator, Once he's tried and failed Ill buy a few!
nb- I'm not being horrible there but he was convinced he could make a cheaper better version of the actual hay cube before i bought them, now he tells people how great they are and worth buying :D
Handily they are cheaper if you buy two!
My OH used 8 x 4 x 3mm white parlour board from Mole Valley, bought a 2" cutter and made the holes, ideal if you want to make quite a few lol but think the panels are around £70 now. Have had them for several years and none have broken

poiuytrewq

Visit site
My OH used 8 x 4 x 3mm white parlour board from Mole Valley, bought a 2" cutter and made the holes, ideal if you want to make quite a few lol but think the panels are around £70 now. Have had them for several years and none have broken
Good on him! I’m all for homemade but two ready made ones are £70 (probably plus postage 🤦‍♀️) so I may just take the easy option 😂

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I have just bought the new type second hand but in mint condition. It took my insanely intelligent mare all of 10 minutes to work out how to remove the trickly feeder and throw it over her door.
Mmm, I get your point. One of these guys made me take down a whole dividing electric fence line recently because he didn’t understand he could get through the open gateway. I think he’ll be fine 😂

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Mmm, I get your point. One of these guys made me take down a whole dividing electric fence line recently because he didn’t understand he could get through the open gateway. I think he’ll be fine 😂
It took me far longer to work out how to curve the trickle grid and fill the cube and then bend it over the top than it did for the moose to remove the grid and hurl it out of her barn.