New here and looking for some help with building my own horse box using something similar to a renault master lowloader. Read more at https://forum

willg

New User
Visit site
Looking to build my own horse box using something similar to a renault master lowloader.
I am looking to find diagrams and drawings showing exactly what is required.
For example elevation drawings of each internal wall of the vehicle to say you need rubber matting here for example, hooks or loops at this height.
Does something like this exist.
I appreiate people design their own and have their own taste but is there a starting point as a minimum requirement of what is required.
Looking to convert it into a 2 horse box with small living quarters of possible.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
A 2 horse with small living will require a min of 4.5ton, better on a 6.5 tho.
If building on a Renault master (3.5t max) once built, you will likely have on average between 900kg and 1.2 left before you add small living.

Once small living added, you could have anything from 500 to 800kg left.... thus only being able to put a pony in, likely without driver in worst case scenario.

You can of course uprate a 3.5 to 3.9 or even more, but you might want to also uprate the brakes at same time if going more than 3.9, particularly on a van more than 5 yrs old.

Did you mean Renault master?

willg

New User
Visit site
If i cannot add a living space its not the end of the world.
Ideally i do want it to carry 2 horses though.
Something similar to a renault master low loader. I havent yet bought the vehicle so open to other options.
What i really need is what i actually need to fit it out.

I like this one here https://forums.horseandhound.co.uk/threads/designing-the-perfect-3-5-ton-horsebox.560888/
but just want to know exactly what goes inside.
The thickness of matting and wall protection required, hoops, bars, storage racks etc.
And then at what height it should all go.
Thanks

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Best you message Paddymonty then. He gave a lot if advice on that thread.
You still wont get 2 horses on a 3.5 van tho: most horses are in excess of 500kg, couple that with hay, tack, water, driver and groom etc, you will be overloaded.