New horse 1st Ride

tubby1

Visit site
Well brougt my new girl home yesterday, lost confidence with last horse so bought supersafe horse . Well. Thought I would get straight on . She is. totally different to when I tried her very forward ,no brakes tanked off a few times but not naughty. A bit gutted coz I thought she was going to be easier. In every other way she has been perfect. Just wondered if anyone else had found a massive difference when they got horse home.

BethanT

Visit site
Horses tend to act differently in a new place with a new rider. Give her some time to settle and maybe do some groundwork to bond with her. Id suggest just going for a leisurly hack with company if possible just to get her out and used to her surroundings. This will also allow you to relax as well, as im guessing you were a bit aprehensive about riding?

All the best though and have fun :) hope you get your confidence back

Tammytoo

Visit site
Look at it from her point of view. She's been kidnapped and taken to a strange place to live with strange horses and strange people. She will be on her toes, not knowing what to expect and ready to take evasive action. Don't hack out on your own for a while until she's settled and in a routine. Spend lots of time with her, grooming and perhaps doing a bit of in-hand work as well as riding.

She'll soon get to know and trust you and I'm sure in a couple of months' time you will wonder why you were concerned.

Good luck.

tinap

Visit site
We got our new one 3 weeks ago. The first time the daughter rode her she said she didn't quite feel like she did when she tried her, more tense which is to be expected. The next couple of times she was quite strong (which she hadn't been at all when she tried her). Then we had her teeth rasped & a blind wolf tooth taken out so she had a week off riding. I think that has really helped her to settle down. The daughter was back on her yesterday. She was expecting her to be a bit lively after the week off (she's a rising 5 warmblood x tb), but she has been a little angel, both yesterday & today & really seems to be settling in now. Not strong, nice & soft again & listening really well. The daughter was over the moon :) obviously the tooth would have had something to do with it too but you can see she is so much more relaxed in herself.

Give it time op. I know it can feel a little disheartening, but I'm sure she'll settle down xx

Tayto

Visit site
I just bought a horse - I have had her just over a week and the first time I got on her I thought "what have I done". She was so forward, not like when I tried her. I just had to keep reminding myself that it was a HUGE change of her routine and she was probably terrified the first time I got on. I was also very anxious which she must have picked up on. I have done lots of grooming and in hand work and rode her in the school every night for 20-25 mins and a week later we had our first hack and she was perfect. She has really settled down and I can't believe the difference in her in just a week.

Horses like a routine and moving home and getting a new owner is a massive change for them - of course it will take a bit of time for them to settle in to a routine.

Good luck - I am sure your new horse will settle down soon and you will have heaps of fun together :)

Crugeran Celt

Visit site
Bought my cob five years ago and he was the most laid back animal I had ever come across when I tried him out and the day he arrived, his owner delivered him for me, he came of the box like an animal possessed. She said that a police car with sirens blaring had just gone past her and he had freaked on the trailer. He was a nervous wreck and shaking and looked about 17hh not just the 15.1hh he was. I rode him out a week after he arrived and he was very anxious but did everything asked of him. He then fell coming down from the mountain and had to be rested for a few weeks he was even more nervous after that and he is still the same although his reaction is not as severe as it used to be and he will now listen to me if I ask him to go past something he doesn't like but he has never been the same as he was when I first tried him. :( The strange thing is he is fantastic with traffic and road works but if a cat so much as stretches he jumps out of his skin bless him.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I don't believe in giving the horse loads of time off when you get it, gentle riding is good, but you need to be confident for the horse to take its own confidence from you while it adjusts to a new place. If you are nervous, its always best to have some form of backup for you both to get confidence from - your riding instructor while in the school, or a friend on a confident horse when you hack out..

Don't worry, you will get there.x

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
I find mares take longer than geldings to settle, We take the back shoes off all new horses (and off those of the existing herd) then put them in adjoining fields until we are fairly sure that all are fairly settled with each other. This tends to mean that we don't ride the new one for about two weeks after they arrive, spend time with them each day, as we do with the others, then ride out the new one with the calmest of the existing herd, this seems to work well for settling the new one in with the herd and with us.

Tiffany

Visit site
Everything is new to her including you so, she's bound to be a bit different. I'd spend a bit more time grooming her and getting to know her and give her time to get to know you. I'm sure she'll soon settle down and be the super safe horse you bought.

Look forward to your updates :)

Hexx

Visit site
When I tried my boy, he was fab. Quiet and sensible - just what I wanted. When I brought him home - he was like a thing possessed. He was doing canter pirrouettes around his box screaming his head off!!! I thought "OMG,what have I done". He calmed down after about 3 hours!

I rode him in the school for a week or so before venturing out, and on our first hack he just yelled the whole way around. This carried on for about 3 months, but eventually he did calm down and became the safe, sensible horse that I bought.

When I came to move him the next time, I was a bit worried as I thought he might stress again, but he didn't - he was calm and settled immediately, I think because we now had a bond and he trusted me to keep him safe.

You just need to give them time to settle and learn that you are their new person and to establish a bond and gain trust - it will come. Good luck with your new horse.

Tarbs

Visit site
You could try lunging before riding to get rid of any excess energy! Let her settle in and I'm sure she'll be great. Good luck.