New horse - 2 days in cracked feet and lame : o (

Scaty_Bird

Visit site
Hi all,

need some advice on what to do here please! I have just got a new horse - brought him home on Friday. He had lost both his front shoes and didn't travel that great. Checked his feet and they seemed fine so turned him out in the field cue cantering like a loon and one big chunk of hoof missing! (chunk was about 2inches tall and wide)

He's now in and being turned out in the school for a few hours with bandage and tape round his foot as there is another chunk (similar size as above) that is loose and may come off.

Farrier can't come till Thursday.

Would you continue to bandage it, just tape the foot or leave it alone? He is a bit lame but still trotting about etc so would prefer he got some time out so he doesn't get bored.

Any hints and tips????

Ta very muchly

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
How far does he have to walk to the field, and is the ground in the field good?

I'd be inclined to have him out, personally.

SunshineTallulah

Visit site
if sound then nappy on each hoof with lots of duct tape, change daily and I leave off overnight to let feet breathe (tho horse has deep bed and rubber matting).

if lame, prob foot sore and best left on box rest til farrier comes.

Scaty_Bird

Visit site
Thanks both, he was lame as soon as I took him off the lorry but as you say I think he was just foot sore as he was not hopping lame just sore.

Poor lad, feel so sorry for him, not a great way to start his new life with me! He's being so sweet as well.

Will go down later and remove the bandage for the night and replace in the am so he can go out again in the school. The fields are not great - loads of mud in the gateway then hard further up on the hill.

Thanks again
: o )

Kallibear

Visit site
I'd guess he's just foot sore from lack of shoes rather than lame from the chunks missing - that size of chunck rarely makes them lame, esp as they generally break off like that when the foots too long and needs to trim itelf: it's what they do in the wild.

Unless the chunk has opening into a crack crevase then I woulnd't bother bandaging it

KingCharles

Visit site
I think that i would want to minamise the risk of him loosing any more hoof, other wise the farier may not have enougth foot to shoe to, and you will end up with a horse on box rest while its feet grow.

Scaty_Bird

Visit site
I suppose the only bit that is worrying me is that where it has cracked off it's exposed a bit of foot which I haven't seen before. It's made up of lots of vertical lines of hoof, about 1-2cm deep from hoof wall????

lol - that probably makes no sense what so ever!

Scaty_Bird

Visit site
Also forgot to say that he paws with this foot when he's going to roll etc.

Sorry everyone, I'm being an overprotective mother aren't I!

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Also forgot to say that he paws with this foot when he's going to roll etc.

Sorry everyone, I'm being an overprotective mother aren't I!

[/ QUOTE ]

No, you sound as if you're protecting your investment and being very sensible.
smile.gif

Kallibear

Visit site
That sounds like the lamia is exposed, in which case I would be bandaging up and keeping clean. I'd be using hoof putty to protect the area too - keratax's is the easiest to get ahold of.

I'd also be looking at getting him onto a good foot supplement - from that kind of damage to happen suggests his feet are weak and poor quality.

Lisamd

Visit site
I would use Old Mac boots to protect the feet (expensive i know but i use mine over and over again when they pull shoes or even to give their feet a break from shoeing) and a good hoof supplement like NAF Pro Feet (amazing results!) Using this combo i have had bad feet come really good, maybe a good idea if the horse has poor hoof quality. I know its a pain in the short term but pays dividends in the long run and you can still ride and turnout. Good Luck

misst

Visit site
Sorry if this sounds odd - but why did he come without his front shoes if he had lost them? Why did the previous owner not have them put back on - was he vetted with shoes on?

TBH I would be quite concerned about this and I wonder if you need to make a point of saying to the old owners that he arrived lame? I am not sure how all this works but I would be unhappy to accept a horse that was lame on arrival and had no shoes on. If he was not vetted that is more difficult but if it turns out to be a major problem the longer you leave it the more difficult it is to return the horse/get money back/get insurance etc.

ofcourseyoucan

Visit site
asn misst said above!! and as for the cracks 1 to 2 cm deep (well they didnt appear in 48 hours) sounds like he has had filler in his feet and that is what has broken away?! did you have horse vetted? and why did you accept him with 2 of his wheels missing?

Scaty_Bird

Visit site
Just realised that I didn't mention he is a full loan horse, not bought.

I'm quite concerned now as farrier can't get to me till Thursday. I'm so glad I bandaged it now! Have left it on and will replace tomorrow so to not get it dirty.

Eek! I hope he's ok, feel sick now!

misst

Visit site
If he is on loan I would immediately call and email or write(so you have evidence) and inform them that he is lame. If you are responisble for vets bills then I would consider sending him back until sound - a lame loan horse is not a good start. If your agreement (hope you have one!) says they are paying vets bills then it probably requires you to inform them of any problems... I would evidence all of this. People are strange and you don't want someone saying "he was fine when he left here - what did you do to him".
Hope he is ok and that the farrier sorts him out. I think you should keep him in till then. Good luck.