New Horse Barging Stable Door

Shoei

Visit site
Afternoon,

My new horse arrived last Saturday he is a 6yo Warmblood but has only recently been broken. He has had quite a bit of change to deal with and has in the main settled down well. However, when he gets excited or something is happening on the yard we wants to be involved with. Like another horse being taken out. He barges at his stable door and throws himself about, I am a bit concerned he is going to try and jump the door. Luckily they are good strong doors and seem to be holding but I wondered what everyone though. Is this just because he is so green (he really is much more like a 4 year old) and he will settle. Is there anything I can do to stop him. He was very calm at the yard I purchased him from but did have weave bars up.

Incidently he doesn't barge when I lead him out of the stable.

Any advice greatfully received.

dianchi

Visit site
Water gun!

More worrying is the damage they can do to knees with the banging!

Might help to have bars up if that's what he is used to

YasandCrystal

Visit site
I have one like it. She dislikes being stabled and if I am on the yard she will door bang for attention and throw herself about if you go to the atble door. She settles when all is quiet and lights out. I would try to ignore it. If you rush to him you will likely proliferate the behaviour.

I have nailed a wall mat to the back of the stable door to stop my mare injuring herself

Last edited:

Shoei

Visit site
Thanks guys, I di think about nailing a mat to his door, athough I think he is doing it with his chest! It can't do any harm though!

Fools Motto

Visit site
You could put a bar up, inside the door. May save the door from some of the 'battering'. Equally though, I'd ignore him, and give him more time to get used to the comings and goings.

AM Gal

Visit site
You could put a bar up, inside the door. May save the door from some of the 'battering'. Equally though, I'd ignore him, and give him more time to get used to the comings and goings.

I have a bar up for my colt- in the first week he actually did jump out (my doors are 5ft high too!!) However i put a bar in front of the door, chest height and one higher about 5'8" so he can still see but cant get his head over let alone the rest of his body!!b It has difinitely worked for us and safely too!!

Goldenstar

Visit site
I would fit a bar inside the door to all my boxes except one have a bar .
But a light mat on the door ( they are cheap on eBay )
You can use a thing called i think a kick stopper it sits on the yard outside the door and sprays at the horse when it's triggered by the horse worked like a charm with my friends horse.

Shoei

Visit site
I just purchased a mirror for mine also...i will let you know if it actually works!! Top eventer and Showjumpers etc apparently use them!!

This is also something I was thinking about. He is extremley alert (nosey) so thought it may distract him.

I was dreading turning out this morning because of the wind. Crept up to yard and all was quite, as soon as he noticed me he was stomping around and snorting but I stood at his door and shouted at him and puched him back when he barged the door. Once he was calmer I led him out and he was better than expected. We are on top of hill and the yard is surrounded by trees so quite spooky in the wind. Stood and waited whilst I took his headcollar off before having a canter about.

AM Gal

Visit site
Just sounds like he needs to settle.....dear of him. I put it up last night...Colt didnt seem bothered... but the old fella could just see it through the bars and was snorting quite alot!haha.....older ones are far worse!!!!

cavalo branco

Visit site
OH and I have just spent the morning putting up an inside bar after my young ID got himself in a real tizzy when I took my older boy out for a hack. Why? I have no idea, he is usually ok with a haynet but today was crashing so hard at the door that he has bent the bolt and the wooden stable side is buckling. My poor OH had to stay with him watching him crash about and try to jump out :eek::eek:
The inside bars are the best idea if he is hitting the door with his chest, just for safety. I'm sure he will settle in time.

Shoei

Visit site
Seemed a bit more settled this morning, I'm sure it doesn't help that he is the only one in at night as the other livery doesn't bring hers in. He can see the other horses and not sure if this makes it better or worse.
One thing you lovely people might be able to help me with. When he comes in and is wheeling around his stable and excited, he won't stand even when tied up. He does respect my space and backs up when I tell him but won't stand still. I think we got off to a bad start as I got him to the yard and he shot out the trailer and stood on my leg. Now wary of him trapping me and hurting me accidentally.

Thanks for all the advise this new horse has been a while coming and I have noone close by for advise/support.

Shoei

Visit site
Just thought I would update. Friday night put the new boy to bed as usual and managed to swap his turnout to a fleece without being stood on. Sat AM went to turn out. He was soaked with sweat and I mean soaked... dripping off ears, had chewed his stable put a hole in one kick board, and clearly stood at his stable door and bucked resulting in 2 comedy hoof holes in the kick board and he must have gone again as higher up he had kicked the shiplap off!!! I could not believe it! At least he was uninjured, but I had to make a call to get carpenter in for repair and he will now be living out until 'hopefully' he calms down and I am just going to feed him in his stable to get him used to it again! Just thought I would share!