New horse bucking..........................

sleepykitten

Visit site
Hi all,

myself and my mum bought a horse in June to share. She is pretty darn perfect in all respects. Except she has recently started to do the occasional buck. The first time, it was a really hot day and she got bitten by a horse fly up under her chin. My mum was riding her and I was riding my old mare and I managed to knock it off, she just did one (fairly big) buck and we forgave her instantly because there was a clear reason for it. The second time, mum was on her again and we went for a canter. She was behind my mare when we set off and mum said it was more like an excitement buck. Then I was on her about two weeks ago and again she did it with me as we set off into canter, only I had stood up in my stirrups and she managed to get her head down and put in quite a big one! I lost my balance but didn't come off and she was fine afterwards. Then last night I took her for a hack on my own. I had my dog with me (who she is used to) and he was herding the sheep about in our fields and she was getting a little worked up about the sheep running around but we went round the ride fine, no problems. Then just as we got through the gate to head up a hill to go home, she squealed, jumped up in the air, attempted to ****** off and when I wouldn't let her, put a buck in. Luckily I had her head up at the time so she couldn't get much welly into it and I sat it OK. Then she calmed down almost immediately and walked home fine! However, my mum has a tendency to canter up the hill I was trying to walk up! I'm just wondering whether this is something I need to nip in the bud or whether it is just exuberance?? We got her at the beginning of June and she has been fine until fairly recently. The only issue is I'm not the bravest of riders and lost my confidence a while ago. I don't really want to lose it again! When she came she was 5 stage vetted, and we had a McTimoney practitioner out to her to check her back etc over. We also had a saddle fitted to her by a professional saddle fitter so pretty sure she is not in pain. Also had her teeth done in August. Any thoughts? Or am I just being a wuss???

loopy3585

Visit site
can't offer any advice i'm afraid but will be watching this post carefully as my horse has just started this also and again we've had back and saddle checked.

charliecrisps

Visit site
Sounds to be excitement, what does she do it the school In w/t/c. My mare always bucks going into canter & Always has, but then she also bucks if anything in the slightest upsets her..Crazy mares ;-) I find she is worse spring and autumn. (Grass related perhaps? Change of season...) my partners gelding sometimes throws in a buck in open spaces going into canter only, so def more excitement thing. Should change up where you canter each time if you can - I'd be walking up that hill and tell your mum too also for the minute and canter somewhere else. Although If you feel your confidence will be affected then enlist the help from an instructor before she scares you, instructor will help you work through this/ maybe ride your mare as an expert pair of eyes on the situation - Can you ride in school for a while if you can so you can keep working on those trot canter transitions in safe environment? If you've checked saddle etc, she may just be a mare who bucks occasionally during excitement like mine :/ they've all got their quirks and personalities & It may be that she may never stop :-(

sleepykitten

Visit site
Thanks charliecrisps - I don't really have a school as such as we are on a farm, but could definitely school in a paddock. The weird thing is my other mare is a total trollop when it comes to bucking and dumps me about once a year (always when she is in season!) with her I am so used to it I don't even think about it anymore! New one has recently moved into a paddock with a bit more grass so was wondering whether she is just feeling well. She seems to do it once into the first canter then after that, you can canter her fine. I have told mum to change canter places as I definitely think that might have something to do with it too. I will definitely try schooling and see if she is any different. I'm not scared at the moment though as I feel I can cope with her as she doesn't bronc like the old girl, just seems to do one and that's it!

Lippyx

Essex... In my bubble, floating above reality!!
Visit site
Sounds like she is finding her feet and testing the water! I believe it takes a good year before you and r new horse really know each other (I have had Toby since October 2013 and I am still learning new things about him!) I would stop cantering in the same spots in the fields and may do some schooling in the fields too, so she learns that the field is not her "muck around" spot, it can also be a work spot too.

How old is she? I would still be tempted to check the saddle fits OK, my boy is 5, and within a few months of his last saddle check, it needs adjusting again!

It could also be a season issue. Mares are getting there last one of the year, and I find they make the most of these ones!! All the mares at my yard are being little misfits!

Get some lessons if you can, it will really help you learn how to deal with her, and also help your confidence issues!

Suechoccy

Visit site
Sounds like excitement and testing boundaries. Every time she does this and you/your Mum stay on board, ignore her and put her into what pace you want, she is learning that the bucking is NOT working. I reckon she will soon grow tired of it.

oldie48

Visit site
Our little mare always used to put a buck and a squeal in on her first canter on a ride, there was no malice in it and we just used to ignore it as it wasn't unseating. however, as someone else has said, I 'd advise against always cantering in a particular spot, most horses will anticipate it and get uptight if not allowed and sometimes there's a very good reason for not cantering.