New horse dislikes leaving field

CaptainBeaky

New User
Visit site
Hi, I recently bought a 3yo ex-racer (mare). She's fab in every way and is a sweetheart to handle - the one problem is that she doesn't like leaving the field. I can catch her with no problems, and she doesn't do anything major. She just walks super slowly back up to the barn, occasionally plants her feet and looks back behind her. She was doing this on the way out of the barn a few weeks ago and loved leaving the field, but she has since moved to a different field and I don't think she wants to leave her new friends behind. Has anyone got any ideas of how I can work her through this? There isn't anything physically wrong with her; she's forward going in all other places / situations.

White Horse2

Visit site
My girlie used to do that, would move her side to side, forward and back, she was seriously taking the ****, especially when I needed her for farrier etc. Was solved with the use of a driving whip, ...very short lunge whip, held low, popped on the ground whilst I caught in, and kept very discreet unless she planted or slowed down to plant, just wagged it around behind me as we walked forwards, it worked for us, no longer need to use it, and always had a nice treat/haynet to come in for, then out, then in!!!!! Takes time

Trinket12

Visit site
Had this issue last year, didn’t want to leave the field or her buddies. We did a lot of groundwork, was consistent in handling her and we now have a good relationship. She still likes to try and stop when she realizes she’s not going to grass and/or she spots her boyfriend ?

But my experience has been to be firm, consistent and persevere!