New horse increasingly misbehaving

UptodateK

Visit site
Hi everyone, it's been a VERY long time since I last posted here, but I visit most days, and could just do with some advice/thoughts/perspective from the forum.

To give some background: I bought a (just turned) 8yo ISH gelding about 3 weeks ago from a dealer (with a good rep). He'd just come over from Ireland and had only hunted, still very green in the school, but a very sweet, relaxed, chilled out boy. He had very little topline, and needs to be built up in this area. Since I've had him I've done a mixture of schooling, lunging with the equiami, hacked out (once) and been to a xc clinic with my instructor. He's worked on average 4 times a week, for 30-45 mins (20 mins with equiami). I had my saddler out during the 1st week and he's currently in the GP I had for previous horse, but with a prolite pad underneath. Saddler says saddle (K&M m/w fit) fits on shoulders but too wide for withers due to lack of topline, so to ride with pad for 3 months and then re-visit.

Here's my problem....

since last Wednesday he has become increasingly nappy and difficult to ride. When I first started riding him in the arena he went forwards nice and relaxed, I had a lesson with my instructor and again, no issues apart from occasionally napping to the right sometimes when we were on the left rein (my right leg is rubbish and I have to really work on keeping it on). But other than that he was fine - sometimes a little spooky, but nothing unusual or concerning. But now, he will bunny hop and try to bronc almost as soon as I ask him to trot forwards. He'll break forwards into canter, toss his head and want to charge around. I just sit quietly, keep my leg on and praise him when he does settle, but then that will only last a few strides before he starts to bounce around again. I tried working him in the field last night for a change of scene, and he was exactly the same. He exhibited similar behaviour at the xc clinic a week or so ago - was quite nappy to start with and we had a couple of mini-rears and prancing about, but he soon settled once he understood what we were doing. Do I just need to ride him through it?

I've been riding for a long time and am fairly experienced, but my confidence can be quite fragile at times, and it's getting to the point where I'm worrying about riding him because of what he might do. He's also over 17hh, so I need to nip this in the bud now.

My thoughts are:
now that he's settled in he's starting to become confident and throw his weight around, and is being a bit of a stroppy teenager?
he's clingy to the other horses and doesn't want to work away from them?
back pain? interestingly he doesn't behave this way when in the equiami
too much food? he's on alfa and has just started top spec comprehensive balancer (a week ago)

Dentist is coming out this afternoon, but when I had him vetted the vet said nothing to worry about with his teeth. I'm going to cut out all hard feed and just put him on hay (currently on haylage). have a lesson on Saturday, so will see what instructor says.

Am I missing anything?!

Would appreciate any thoughts/advice/similar experiences.

I know it's still very early days, but it's just concerning that he seems to be progressively getting worse every time I ride.

Sorry it's long! Thanks for reading.

PaddyMonty

Visit site
Here's my problem....
since last Wednesday he has become increasingly nappy and difficult to ride.

My thoughts are:
and has just started top spec comprehensive balancer (a week ago)
I had a horse go completely off the rails on this balancer. Fine once removed from diet.
Given the timing of the above stopping the balancer is the first thing I would do.
Would also make sure this is not pain related

AandK

Visit site
I had a horse go completely off the rails on this balancer. Fine once removed from diet.
Given the timing of the above stopping the balancer is the first thing I would do.
Would also make sure this is not pain related

This. Also as he is fine in the equiami, I would look again at the saddle. That is a clear indicator something is not right.

scats

Visit site
To start, remove the alfalfa and balancer from his diet. Just feed him on grass and hay for the getting-to-know-each-other period. You can make adjustments later on.

Is it worth popping him on the lunge for fifteen minutes before you get on and just seeing if that makes any difference once you are on board.

UptodateK

Visit site
thanks for your replies so far. Yes, I think another saddler visit is on the cards, and I've cut out everything other than grass and hay as of today, so will see if that makes a difference. Interesting about the top spec - I'd heard of Alfa sending some horses loopy but not the balancer.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
He'd just come over from Ireland and had only hunted, still very green in the school, but a very sweet, relaxed, chilled out boy. He had very little topline, and needs to be built up in this area. Since I've had him I've done a mixture of schooling, lunging with the equiami, hacked out (once) and been to a xc clinic with my instructor. .

Obviously check feed and physical issues first but to add another thing.

The work you are asking him to do is mentally and physically very different to what he is used to. He's gone from hunting and presumably some hacking to constantly working in the school with one hack in 3 weeks. He might not be coping with it either physically or mentally or both. I know he's 8 but he sounds young for his age.

I would mix it up a bit more and add a couple of hacks a week to the ridden and lunge work.

If asked to work correctly and you have hills this will be great for building up muscle as well the mental benefits.

UptodateK

Visit site
Thanks - yes, you're right Criso, he still seems very green and baby-ish, and only turned 8 last month. I'm a bit nervous of hacking him out (especially since this new behaviour) which is why I think I've been avoiding it, and why I tried riding/mooching around the field last night just to give him a change of scene. So i'll put my brave pants on and find someone to babysit me out on a hack!

tda

Visit site
I think you probably already know the answers, cut back/out all feed, have the saddle checked, most important of all, get out of the school and go out hacking!
Get a hacking buddy x

paddi22

Visit site
that combo of feed would ring warning bells in my head, have seen a few horses go loopy on it.

Also sometimes you are safer getting a cheaper saddle that fits the horse as it currently is, not what it will build into. Topline can take a long time to develope on some horses, and muscle development often doesn't go as planned! I much prefer getting a temporary cheap sadle and sellign it on when horse shape changes.

The change in work could well be a factor too, would be no harm to hack out with a quiet friend, can you longline him? thats great if you are nervy but still want to get them out.

UptodateK

Visit site
Thanks. I've stopped that feed as of today, so will be interesting to see if his behaviour changes over the next week or so. Saddler coming out again, so will see what he makes of it and perhaps as you say get a cheaper one which fits for the time being. Yeah - I can long rein him - that's a good idea if I'm struggling to find someone to come out with me. Thanks for the suggestion!

ITPersonnage

Visit site
I know some horses can handle it but mine hates the saddle wobbling, as you describe with a pad. I would guess it's this as it would wobble more has you go to forwards to trot

Fred66

Visit site
Agree with most of what is said above certainly reduce hard feed and do more hacking and look at getting some of it with a hacking buddy even if the buddy is friend on bicycle.

If you trust your saddler then as he has said not perfect fit but adequate with padding until he starts to muscle up then as long as you are only doing flat then I would just make sure that its not touching spine and or rocking too badly.

What I would say is that the 2-3 week time scale has given him opportunity to settle in and this is the point where they are feeling a little more confident and can start to test you. If you aren't confident enough to deal with it then you may want to look at getting someone to ride him out that is, as its going to be easier to nip in the bud now than try and fix later

Mule

Visit site
Also, besides any feed or saddle issues, if he hasn't been worked correctly before, his muscles won't to used to it. Its quite strenuous for them.

I have a horse who was incredibly heavy on the forehand when I bought him. Teaching him to transfer his weight off his forehand was more strenuous for him than galloping. Mabey more breaks on a long rein during schooling might help.

It's actually pretty interesting how much more confident he became when his body got stronger. He also went from knocking showjumps to powering over them.

Last edited:

Goldenstar

Visit site
Address the fact that diet may be part of other issue.
But it’s likely this is saddle /back related .
If he where here I would be leading from another horse to get him out and about and I would be rehabbing the back working in walk in a bridle and lunge line perhaps using either very long low side irons or a lunging rope but probably nothing .
I would never use an equi ami in a horse with a very weak back .
The other thing is I would want the horse to have a full assesment from my vet and a acpat trained Physio who I would be having I put from regularly , if we where at all worried I would have the back xrayed I don’t believe in wasting my time .
But tbh it’s likely to be not enough walking exercise and too much school work .

Blixen Vixen

Visit site
What turn out has he he got? I would give him as much as possible including 24/7 and just bring in an hour before you ride. It’s their natural state to be out and is very calming. Also cut all hard feed, that will certainly calm him down.

Plus this is a great time for you to bond with him. Just have fun riding, do hacks, x country stuff. Forget about the schooling for a while, have fun and built a bond. Let him get stronger by hacking with a pal. There’s plenty of time for the training later. For now take the pressure off him, sounds like it’s too much for him.

Goldenstar

Visit site
What turn out has he he got? I would give him as much as possible including 24/7 and just bring in an hour before you ride. It’s their natural state to be out and is very calming. Also cut all hard feed, that will certainly calm him down.

Plus this is a great time for you to bond with him. Just have fun riding, do hacks, x country stuff. Forget about the schooling for a while, have fun and built a bond. Let him get stronger by hacking with a pal. There’s plenty of time for the training later. For now take the pressure off him, sounds like it’s too much for him.

A horse with a weak back needs to be in a targeted work plan to build muscle strength not doing x country .

UptodateK

Visit site
Thanks everyone for your replies and suggestions. He had the dentist and vet out yesterday and they're both happy with him - no major issues to report. So we're just going to go out for a walk tonight, either in hand or with me on board, depending on how I feel and who else is around! Physio is also on the list of things to be done in the next few weeks, so in the meantime we'll just take it easy and have some fun together and try to build his strength up.

I think it's so easy sometimes to put the pressure on ourselves to be 'doing things', having a plan right away with a new horse and for it all to be perfect, that we forget to take a step back and just have some quality time getting to know eachother.

Anyway, he's such a lovely lad that it's easy just to hang out with him and go for a mooch.

I'll let you know how we get on.