New Horse Nightmare

dieseldog

Visit site
A straight honest horse of 14 will hack out happily without rearing with either you or your daughter on it. Horses don't start rearing after 2 days off even if they have just changed homes. If it was as described it wouldn't do it.

As neither you or your daughter are happy riding it send it back. Don't blame yourself for this happening as it is not a big deal to ask a horse to walk down a road.

sammys ma

Visit site
Send it back......asap!

I've been there and ended up losing my confidence Badly as a result.

A 14 Y/O Mother /daughter share should not rear. Whether it's done it before or not is irrelevant. It's done it once, and with style! What if that had been your daughter on board? It may or may not do it again, but are you willing to take that risk??
You didn't buy a potential problem horse to sort out did you?

The horse is not suitable the job it was advertised as being capable of. Send it back and if they give you any problems, threaten the Small claims court.

emma69

Visit site
I'm going to offer a 'benefit of the doubt' opinion - I've had horses sold that try it out rather spectaculaly with the new owners, especially if the new owners are a bit nervous, less competent, or different sizes to the previous owners - horses do know their mummies!!!!!!!!!!!!

One thing that I have come across more than once is new horse, new home, new saddle / bridle - the saddle or bridle in question may be causing pain / pressure that the horse is uncomfortable with/ not used to, even new bridles of the same type can be stiff and cause pain.

Another option is that the horse could have injured themselves when in the horsebox, and again be in some sort of pain

A further option is a change in feed - if he is suddenly getting oats for example, and has never had them before, then it is possible they are having an effect

As I said, just a few 'benefit of the doubt' options, if he continues past these things, I echo the others suggestions of sending the horse back.

Clodagh

Visit site
Send it back! Even if never does it again it has destroyed your confidence in it and you will never feel confident enough to put your daughter on it.
I pushed myself last year with a horse and ended up in hospital, it was not worth it.
There are nice horses out there...they cost the same to run and they are a lot more fun!
Good luck.

horsegirl

Visit site
I would never take a new horse out hacking without riding him in a school for a few times first. Horses do take a while to settle into new places/routines and it is for your safety as well as his to play it safe for a while. Perhaps he is not a hacker?

Agent XXX999

Visit site
Right I am really sorry but everyone writing this horse off immediately is not fair, and the bigger picture should be looked at…

Would you take a horse that has not jumped much over a course of jumps and not expect any problems?

Why oh why do you expect a horse who “hasn’t done much hacking” to go out without a fuss?

Hacking is exactly the same as any other discipline that you expect of your horse. It should be done with care and consideration, and takes time to teach the ‘right way’– and is definitely not the safest option on a new horse.

Why do you think that novice riders are not allowed to hack? Nor would you get on a youngster and hack it out immediately. It is the same with a new horse on a new yard.

Your poor horse sounds completely unsettled and whilst I do feel sorry for you I do think that the situation was created slightly by you. You knew the horse hadn’t done much hacking, yet that was the first thing he did! So he went from a new yard that he was just getting used to out into the big bad world.

In the nicest way, I bet your adrenaline was pumping and you were nervous – this clearly related on to the horse. I am willing to put money on the fact that you had tight hold of him because of this. IMO any horse who had moved yards etc who then had a rider full of anticipation on his back would be naughty – it’s a recipe for disaster.

Did a more experienced person on the yard not suggest that you ride him in the school first, preferably in a lesson so you relax more? I really think that you should get on him in the school and see what he is like in there… if he stands up on his back legs again then send him packing, but have a go. Don’t write him off just because of this one incident.

It really upsets me that the horse is being written off immediately just because he didn’t behave on his first time out. It sounds like he was genuinely scared and it all got too much for him. I do feel sorry for you, but I do not think that the horse is entirely at fault here…

GTs

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
For a horse to rear up and stay in balance then I would say he has definatly done this before.

[/ QUOTE ]

But you also have to remember, rears feel much bigger than they are!

I do not see why anyone should give the horse the benefit of the doubt - going on a hack is what I classify as a minimum expectation, especially for a 14 year old horse - it should be able to do this with no qualms - if it can't I classify it as useless.

LauraBR

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
But you also have to remember, rears feel much bigger than they are!

[/ QUOTE ]

v good point actually. First time I was reared with I was agast with how lucky I was not to have been fallen on until those watching pointed out that actually, the ponys feet bearly left the floor really...

Tufty

Visit site
I would definitely try and take it back I agree with GTs a hack is not a big expectation of a horse that was sold as traffic proof and rearing on the roads no matter how small is just trying you out or worst still it is not traffic proof and therefore not suitable for a family horse

mrgoop

Visit site
Ok, so for those off you that have given me comments thankyou for your input. A quick update...have sapoken to the previous owner who still maintains this is totally out of character behaviour, they are (much to some of your delight i'm sure) coming to see him and taking him out to see how he goes. I still feel though in my heart that the horse has knocked my faith in him and, can i ever chuck my daughter on board and feel safe? Regardless of whether i can build up a wonderful trusting relationship with this horse, and live happily ever after. What happens on the occasion my girl wants to go around the village with her mates.. Is he going to say, "NO" because he isn't secure with her, a "novice ride" should be safe with anyone on it's back regardless. My last horse had come from a market followed by a string of mean dealers yards. His faith in people was destroyed but even though he was a git to handle, not surprisingly of course. He had the decency to let anyone ride him anywhere without the bat of an eye!! (God rest his soul). In answer to the comments earlier i was not nervous or worried when i took this horse out, i did not tell him in any language that i was feeling insecure and i did not hang onto or hold him to encourage him to rear. I have not been offended by anyones comments, but i am not a novice who has no idea what is going on. All i want is to enjoy a hobby that is far to big a part of life to look back and feel regrets. If you can't enjoy it, it's time to pack up surely... I've had my share of heartache and lunatics. Sorry this got a bit long, just needed to say it. I hope in return i have not offended anyone xx

Tia

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
used for dressage, showjumping, XC

[/ QUOTE ]
So is this what you plan to do with him?
[ QUOTE ]
Has hacked out but not loads

[/ QUOTE ]
Did you want a horse for hacking on?

Sorry I don't know what sort of horse you were trying to purchase here; a competition horse or a hacking horse? If a competition horse then it sounds like you've got it and if you are only looking to hack out then why buy this horse?

Pleased to read that the previous owners are coming to ride him for you - perhaps when he behaves well you will see the other side of him? It may alleviate some of your concerns.

Salcey

Visit site
I hope you get a good outcome. I agree with what many have said both about sending back and about giving the horse time. I do think after this experience it will be hard for you to ever have complete faith in the horse again and because of that question if you should hang on to it. As others have said there are plenty of well balanced 14yo out there.
At least the previous owner seems relatively genuine it that they are coming over.
I do believe a horse can change character dramaticaly when changing homes, but it all boils down to whether you will ever trust this horse, and if you want to spend time gong back to basics when you could be happily hacking out on another.

magic104

www.jc-countryside.co.uk
A horse suitable for a novice is exactly that, suitable for a novice. They are suitable because they are forgiving, they have the temperments to cope with the inadequacy of a novice or nervous rider. My mare was sold as suitable for a novice, when she jolly well was not. Her previous rider rode her twice because her confidence was so knocked. When you see her in the school, butter would not melt, even hacking out with company she is fairly good, but hack her out alone! The dealer that sold her needs shooting, as she is dangerous for a novice to hack alone. Though I agree horses need time to settle to their new surroundings, what happens when you go off to a show, is that not new, all the hustle & bustle. Yet a novice horse should remain quiet & sensible, no argument about it. If this horse is suitable for a novice, then it will not rear just because there is a tightening on the reins, or the rider is nervous. End of story.

Snowberry

Visit site
Dont hold your breath about the previous owners taking him back or that you'll LEGALLY be able to return him cos he isnt fit for the purpose you bought him for.
Obviously they may be really nice people and take him back but I'm just saying that dont actually have to.
I bought a horse in good faith for Becci a few years ago, the advert said it was a quiet ride and a totally bombproof horse. The owners said if there was a problem they would take the horse back at any time (cos they loved her!!
confused.gif
)
Anyway, to cut a long story short Becci rode her in the school. She'd just literally taken her through the gate and the horse took off bucking and broncing, she reared up full height. Becci came off on the fence and then the horse turned around and double barrelled her!! Becci ended up in hospital.
We contacted the previous 'loving' owners who did come out and ride the horse at our yard - as soon as the previous owner put a foot in the stirrup she was off!

I took legal action against these people, who incidently turned out to be selling lots of horses privately though a well known dodgy dealer up here!!
I lost my legal action - I couldnt prove the horse was sedated/drugged cos I didnt have it vetted at the time. Its a really hard thing to prove that the horse isnt fit for the purpose you purchased it for.
(the horse went to a dealer I knew to see if he could sort it out, he sold it for meat after she'd thrown him off and his son off in the same way. Both of them, were competant riders and used to dealing with nutters!!!)

personally, I would not expect a 14yr old horse to act that way on a hack but if it hadnt been hacked out when you bought it, or before, then maybe you were overfacing it?? Whats it like in the school?
rearing is something I wouldnt put up with so I'd be rid one way or another, my kids lives are way more important than losing a few quid on a bad horse.
Good luck, I hope you'll keep us updated

Sparklet

Visit site
When I parted with my daughters first pony I kept the money to one side for several months just in case there were problems and they wanted to return her. I would gladly have taken her back with a full refund - it was important to me that she was settled in a good home.

If these people have owned the horse for some time they will want things to work just like I did. They may want a reduction for re-advertising but if they have any feelings for the horse they will take it back and refund the money

Agent XXX999

Visit site
I am in no way saying that you don’t know what you are doing, just that I feel you should look at the bigger picture and give the horse the benefit of the doubt.

I really hope that for your sake, you can work it out with him, but I do think that you have ‘written him off’ after the first incident and unlike others on this thread, want to encourage you to see it from another perspective. If the horse continues to be a git I would say that you have a problem and to solve it. The old owners sound genuine (if there was a problem I doubt they would be that accommodating) so let them come down and hack him out, borrow a horse if you can so you can gage his behaviour with someone he knows and trusts.

It is always difficult buying a new horse but I do think people forget it is a bigger adjustment for the horse than it is for the rider.

Let me know how it all goes.

Snowberry

Visit site
I do the same and have always offered to take back a horse/pony if it hasnt worked out for the new owner. Even when maisy had problems we offered to go and ride her, bring her home and resell on their behalf etc.. If you've nothing to hide most genuine people will. (obviously there are some unfortunate circumstances where you just cant)

mrgoop

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I am in no way saying that you don’t know what you are doing, just that I feel you should look at the bigger picture and give the horse the benefit of the doubt.

I have thought about nothing but this situation since it happened, and don't want to give the horse a bad name. He is a lovely boy...But, as i said before i bought him for me and my girl to share. As someone said earlier, kids lives are to precious and irreplaceable, so i need to look at this side too. I fully understand that the horse may never, ever do this again. But also equally understand that indeed he could. Could i ever forgive myself if the worst happened when my daughter was riding!! Like would i let her go off in a car on which i knew had faulty brakes... no, of course i wouldn't. If it was just me i would be more inclined to battle on, but there is more to think about than me.
confused.gif

horsehaha

Visit site
Hehe well fran...havent you started a good topic! lol

Right, i think i may be slightly qualified to reply as i was riding just behind fran when her horse did this.

I understand a comment made before saying 'rears feel bigger than they are'

BUT this horse ran backwards into the road, knocking straight into me and fern and proceeded to rear near vertical. Landing back on the other side of the road. I'm just extremely thankful for Fran that there were no cars on the road at that
time. Infact im surprised the horse didnt go over backwards.

It is NOT too much to ask of a horse to walk down a road with another horse (who he alreadys built a bond with) , he was perfectly fine one minute then; the best way i can describe it, something switched in his head and nothing Fran did could get him to move forwards, he was in a blind panic for no reason. He did this about 7 times along the ride, a couple of the times we were on wooded track and therefore inexperience of traffic is NOT an excuse.

Unfortunately we have NO SCHOOL at the moment and therefore riding on hacks is all we can do, theres no flat area of field that isn't boggy at the moment.

He acted perfectly happy until he decided to have one of his numerous fits. In my opinion its a mental problem he has, and although im not suggesting shooting him (nothing of the sort!
smile.gif
)
Hes not the hacking/allrounder that fran brought. And in my opinion isnt suitable for what Fran and Hayley want.

Some people seem to get so fixated with being able to solve a problem horse/give it another chance/put up with the behaviour that they forget the person wants to enjoy owning a horse.
For the amount of money livery/feed/equipment costs i would never put up with as horse that intimidated me with its behaviour and stopped my daughter riding it.